My calculations are off?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I've spent plenty of time on Beer WIKI (awesome link), and looking at the different yeasts, malts, hops, etc. I know I can buy software and use websites to get the exact answers but I am one of those who wants to know the process.

I noticed that there are several types of hops that are not present on the chart I found after browsing. Where if anywhere could I find some of the characteristics such as Mt. Hood, Bullion, and Saaz?

Next, I found a Beer Math link, and took the formula to calculate IBU's and after conferring with Beerrecipator, I was way off. I am using,
((Alpha Acit AA% x Quantity in oz) x % util) / 7.25. Is this the correct formula, I know it probably isn't exact, I just would like a ballpark range.

Finally, finding starting gravity and estimating final gravity. In the book that came with my kit it says for sg to
(Lbs of extract x degrees of pounds) / gallons.

there is a table that has DME 1.040, LME 1.034, Steeped malts 1.016.

I know the malts are not correct because different ones have different gravities

Also, how do you find the FG?

For hops:

Hop Reference Chart

For calculating IBUs

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

I recommend reading How to Brew by John Palmer if you haven't already.

howtobrew.com

Calculating estimated gravity for extract is:

(gravity points for extract per gallon) x (lbs of extract used) / (estimated final volume of wort)

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](this website gives potential gravity for grains and extract The Beer Recipator 2.2) [/FONT]

Final gravity is best measured with a tool. I use the hydrometer. You can also use a refractometer.

:tank:

"The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charles Papazian is another great book if you haven't read that one yet.

No problemo. It looks like you are trying to look at free resources so I figured the how to brew would work great. It's what I started with. There are later editions with updated info if you choose to buy them.

:tank:

Latest posts

Back