I may have dry hopped my star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tub of star san in the garage that has been made up around 2 months, I'm sure I've sanitized a plastic mesh bag that had previously soaked in PBW and rinsed. Or does it just start to smell astringent or something after a while? Could it have picked something up from the plastic tub or any of the SS kegs its sat in? The pH is still low so I'm going to keep using it for now.

I don't believe you are supposed to keep Star San longer than two weeks, post mix.

You can keep it as long as you want, as long as the pH stays below 3.2. Hard water makes the pH rise over time, but distilled or soft water will allow it to stay stable for damn near forever.

OP, as to why it smells like hops.....shoot, you've got me! :drunk:

Star San does have an odd smell sometimes. I've always thought it was more of a sulfury odor although that's not quite right either.

I think I figured it out, I think it was my copper immersion chiller that was making it smell. I'll just go back to boiling it in the pot or spraying it instead.

Back