Do recipes always use LME ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently browsing the web to find an easy first recipe. All the recipes are asking for a certain amount (lbs) of malt extract. Since they are not specifying if it is LME or DME do I always have to assume that it is the liquid one ?

Thanks,

I wouldn't say you could always assume that it is LME if it does not specify, but I feel like it would be a safe bet for the majority of times. Before you buy your stuff you could try and ask who posted the recipe or who wrote it what they meant exactly. Another option is finding an easy recipe that does specify just to be sure.

DME and LME are not direct substitutes. 1lb DME does not equla 1 lb LME. So you still need to know what the original recipe called for before sustituting.

The best solution would be to get a program like Beersmith. Then, just target the OG of the recipe. Then, if you like using DME, you can pretty easily convert any recpie using LME over. As long as your OG's match, you are fine. Remember, a recipe is just a written down account of how the last brewer brewed that beer.

It's rare for a recipe requiring DME to not specify it. If you put the information into a calculator and compare the calculated specific gravity (AKA original gravity, OG) to the recipe's, you'll be able to figure out if it's DME or LME.

Free HBO recipe calculator.

Wow...I'm always amazed by how fast you get replies when you ask a question on this forum. You guys are amazing :D

Thank you all !

Back