Problems with my DIY pick up tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I've recently tried DIYing a pickup tube for my keggle but have been running into trouble. The keg will drain all of the way until it reaches the keggle valve and then stop. I tried putting a sh@! ton of plumbers tape on all of the fittings do make sure it was air tight and it seems to be air tight.

So I thought more about it and realized the pickup tube inside the keggle is smaller than the outtube for the valve. I don't know too much physics but could this be the problem? Could I be losing the syphon when the liquid goes from a small tube and has to expand into a larger tube? Thats my only guess. I could use some suggestions before I go to the hardware store and try and try and rig something else up.

Do you have tubing coming off the valve into whatever you are transferring to? You need this to be below the bottom level of the pickup tube for the siphon to work...I know this may be obvious, but I have seen this question before.

Do you have tubing coming off the valve into whatever you are transferring to? You need this to be below the bottom level of the pickup tube for the siphon to work...I know this may be obvious, but I have seen this question before.

+1

Yeah, you need to make sure you have a hose comming off the valve to make the outflow lower than the pickup tube or else you will lose your siphon.

Thanks for the advice I'll have to try that. I had a bunch of my buddies over to try and help me figure it out but came up with nothing... I love this forum

Back