Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHosh

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting ready to do the northern brewer caribou slobber but have read a lot on here about doing full boils. How do I convert there instructions to do a full boil? Thanks

Steep the grains in the recommended amount of water according to the instructions. When you remove the grains, top the boil kettle up to 6 gallons and proceed from there. That's it!

Wow that's easy enough to do. For my knowledge is there a calculation that you do to figure out 6 gallons or do you just know from doing it? Thanks

You could do a dry run. Boil 6 gallons of water for an hour, cool, and pour in your fermentor to see how it fits. Then adjust for your beer.

Personally, I think that's more trouble than it's worth. Six gallons will get you close and it will be great beer regardless.

What's your opinion on late extract addition? I've read people say that it is better to add the extract late in the boil unlike the instructions say. Thanks

Just did this one 2 weeks ago. Steep grains in a seperate pot to save time while brew kettle is warming up. Steep in 1 gal and heat 4.5 gal in kettle. By the time you add steep water and lme you will have about 6 gal. With full boil you dont need to do late addition, but if you do you can get lighter colored beer from what i hear. I just dumped it in in the beginning. Also ive read that you should reduce hop additions by 1/4 if you are concerned about the increase in hop utilization, but i didnt worry about that either. Just make sure to have al least one homebrew while doing it :) Cheers!

I always add at least half of my extract at the end.

Keep in mind that doing a full boil and adding extract at the end both improve your hop efficiency. If you don't make some adjustments, it may be more bitter than you intended.

What's your opinion on late extract addition? I've read people say that it is better to add the extract late in the boil unlike the instructions say. Thanks

I would add all of the extract in with the aroma hops (5minute boil).
It is common for extract brews added in the beginning of the boil to end up with a FG of 1.020 due to caramelizing the sugars. I like most of my brews under 1.010 which is harder to do with extract but you can get close by adding at flame out or boiling for just a short amount of time. Good Luck!

I was converting a NB Extract Kit to a full boil a few months back and asked NB. Here was their reply:

The general rule of thumb that I would follow for doing one of our extract kits as a full boil would be to add all of the extract at the beginning (no late extract additions), and to follow the hop schedule on the All Grain kit instructions.

The instructions for each kit are available on the kit page, under the additional information tab.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Gabe

I was converting a NB Extract Kit to a full boil a few months back and asked NB. Here was their reply:

The general rule of thumb that I would follow for doing one of our extract kits as a full boil would be to add all of the extract at the beginning (no late extract additions), and to follow the hop schedule on the All Grain kit instructions.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Gabe
I prefer that method over late extract addition

What happens by steeping grains in the full boil volume? Is it a taste or extraction issue?

Back