My FG reads 1.020, I need 1.017. Worth Worrying About?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
This weekend I went to bottle a lager that started fermentation on October 19th and after a week of strong fermentation I pulled the carboy from my temperature controlled freezer for a diacetyl rest at room temperature. The gravity reading was 1.020 and BeerSmith indicates that 1.017 is ideal.
Original gravity was around 1.055 and the yeast is a mix of Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124) and Czech Pils (2278.)

I decided not to bottle at this point. I sloshed the beer around in the carboy to agitate the yeast and hope this gets me closer to my ideal FG. If the gravity doesn't drop any further in the next 5-6 days should I just go ahead and bottle?

Is there any problem with bottling when you haven't hit your intended FG?

Was this an extract batch? If so, as I have just learned, it is not uncommon for extract batches to finish high.

I have had a few of my beers finish around 1.020. I would have done what you did(ie rousing the yeast) but If you don't have any more fermentation it's probably done

I'd think if you're that close you'll be fine. But, I'd have done what you did - stir the yeast a bit then wait another week or two.

B

From what I understand of AG thus far,mashing closer to 160F gets less fermentables. Closer to 150F gives more fermentables. The actual temp used to mash seems to dictate color to an extent,but moreso mouth feel & FG/ABV.

158 is on the very upper end. Your FG is about what you should expect. Most brewing software does not account for mash temperature when it spits out your expected FG. I honestly never even pay attention to what it says you should get for a FG. Knowing your yeast, usage of grains and a good understanding of mash temperature will allow you to predict your FG with better accuracy.

+1, with that mash temp you're likely done.

why are you bottling a lager without lagering tho? that should be sitting in the 30s for a few more weeks before even considering bottling.

+1, with that mash temp you're likely done.

why are you bottling a lager without lagering tho? that should be sitting in the 30s for a few more weeks before even considering bottling.

I was under the impression that I should be getting the beer off the cake and allow it to lager in the bottles for a couple months. Is that wrong?

I was under the impression that I should be getting the beer off the cake and allow it to lager in the bottles for a couple months. Is that wrong?

well bottle lagering is one method of it. most just rack to another carboy to lager though. make sure to let it carbonate first before you start lagering all the bottles.

Back