Expired Extract Kit - OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
LHBS (they do more wine than beer) has some old canned extract kits that have expired (within past couple of months) marked down to $7 for a 4lb can. I know everybody says to only use fresh extract - but from a taste perspective, what problems come from old extract? I assume color may darken / change. Any other potential problems? I checked their stock today, and none of the cans were bulging or showing signs of spoilage / leaking.

My main concern is just not making something bad, and worst case, I still get a starter out of it. I am thinking of getting one to do a quick 2-3 gal batch, partially for the beer, partially as a BIG starter for a higher gravity (1.080+) Baltic Porter that is on my horizon. They had Ironmaster Special Bitter & IPA; John Bull, Edme, and Coopers wheat; and Laaglander Bock. I am leaning towards either one of the Ironmaster kits or one of the wheat kits . Haven't bought a kit can for long time (usually use Alexanders plain), so not real familiar. A can isn't much more than a pound of DME, which I would need to buy for a regular starter anyway. If I can get him to throw in a pound of specialty grain with the kit, then what do you all think? This is only for a quick, cheap drinkable (nothing fancy) brew / starter, not a specific stylisticaly correct competition beer.
I am shooting for a brew with an OG of 1.040 (in line with a starter) which means about 3.5-3.75 gal batch. I will probably throw some flavor / aroma hops in I have left over to liven it up a little. I am thinking of using liquid CA Common yeast (which was out of stock), or German Lager WLP830 or Czech Lager WLP802 or Zurich Lager WLP885 (which they had).

I would say, buy one and open it and taste. You'll know right away if it is too old. In general canned goods can be kept in good shape past the expiration date if it is kept cool. Warm forget about it. Bulging would be seriously bad...usually a botulism that somehow made it through process.

Latest posts

Back