beer smith, carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a program and I was checking out the free trial of beer smith. The carbonation section of the recipe page is telling me I would need 8 oz of corn sugar to carbonate and I know that cant be right. Is this an issue with the paid version also?

What is the temperature set at for that amount of corn sugar?

And, is the setting for corn sugar, or another sugar type such as DME?

Also, what does the style call for, and what volume is it giving you?

FWIW, I have Beersmith and for most styles it will be between 2-3 volumes of co2, usually calls for anywhere between 3-5 oz's of corn sugar, however, the temperature setting affects the amount.

Also for 3.8 volumes of co2 @ 75° it would take 8.10 oz's of corn sugar, but 3.8 volumes is going to be overcarbed.

The trial is exactly the same version, you just register it when you pay for the code. So anything you don't like about it is all there for you to see.

What volume of beer is in your initial setting? And are you defaulting to grams and not ounces?

And what is the fg and og of your beer, and what style did you select when creating the recipe?

I use this feature all the time and have never had any problems...If you are carbing for style it will tell you the range of volumes of co2.

Then you can choose what volume you want the beer at (I often go for the middle of the range) then you input the temp of the beer. Then it tells you the range.

Are you shooting for 3-3.5 volumes of co2 (like for a belgian beer, like the saison I am brewing) that would put you at aroun 8 ounces of sugar...which is normal for the style.

I use this tool all the time. Just make sure you have all the parameters set right. Especially desired carbonation. It even tells you target levels for the style. Since I started using the tool, my beers have been more consistently carbonated.

Back