Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #12811
Goofynewfie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 27

As cheap and easy as this is, go ahead and make it. If you don't like it, you have something to serve guests. Its also good to cook with

Old Today, 01:51 AM   #12812
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a son inlaw who really likes it but I've never had a glass of it so I can't answer the question. I drink my beer and let the others have this one.

In Keg: Empty
Next up: Snowy Mountain American Pale Ale
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old Today, 04:09 AM   #12813
fathertorque
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing2 View Post
I made a batch of this stuff using EdWort's original recipe last night. It's the third batch of it I've ever made, but the first 5 gallon one. One of my sons-in-law turns 30 late in August and he loves the stuff, so it's for his b-day party.
I did make one deviation from the recipe...I used EC1118 yeast.
After less than a day the airlock is bubbling along nicely.
I'm just stumbling across EdWort's recipe, but my very first homebrew was 3 quarts of Great Value 100% Apple juice blended with 1 quart of water and mixed with a half pound of brown sugar and 2 grams(a tad excessive) of 1118. After a month I racked into a pot with frozen juice concentrate, mixed and bottled in swing top(grolsch style) bottles. Let it sit for a few weeks at 70* then refrigerated. It was a huge hit with friends and family. Now that I've got a 5 gallon carboy, I'm going to try the full EdWort recipe, though I may deviate and try an ale yeast.

Old Today, 09:31 PM   #12814
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

His original recipe has been made many, many, many times now... my son-in-law must not be the only one who loves the stuff. I'll be drinking at least one glass out of this batch too.
In Keg: Empty
Next up: Snowy Mountain American Pale Ale
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old Today, 09:41 PM   #12815
andrewmaixner
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 27

A note on ciders: I had been re-pitching unwashed S-04/nottingham yeast for my apfelwein-style ciders (technically, just dumping in more juice and sugar, having pasteurized the sugar and used starSan on juice containers and equipment.), but two times out of 8 so far, I have had aroma indications of infection: once butyric acid (vomit) likely from Clostridium, and once major diacetyl (buttery) possibly from Pedio. Both were confirmed with a side-by-side tasting of a beer judge training chemical extract kit.

My theory is that since there is no hops to prevent infections, only alcohol, that an infection is setting in, or growing enough to notice, at some point in the second or third pitch. Whereas with repitching for beer, there is the hop perservation making infections much less likely to take hold. I have dumped those two batches and yeasts.

Has anyone else experienced this, or has anyone had a large history of reusing cider yeast without issue?