Where can I get a metal lid for my Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
I should have saved the tops when I cut open my 15.5 gallon ss kegs, but I didn't. I now want to get some metal lids for the keggles.

Any ideas where to get some?

Thanks...

Any restaurant supply chain will have an assortment of lids in standardized sizes. I cut my keggle opening to 12", as I already had a few lids of that size.

Check out Smart & Final, I'm pretty sure they have stores in Vegas.

I am thinking of a round cookie sheet or pizza pan. A handle should be easy enough to make.

Seems like I saw a pic of one being used as a keggle lid somewhere.

I should have saved the tops when I cut open my 15.5 gallon ss kegs, but I didn't. I now want to get some metal lids for the keggles.

Any ideas where to get some?

Thanks...

The top would be too small, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it just fall down in the keggle?

Kirks...some folks weld on some washers or similar to the cut tops to be able to use them as lids.

Any place that sells pots and pans should have lids. Unless it's your personal choice, you don't have to stick to metal.

Kirks...some folks weld on some washers or similar to the cut tops to be able to use them as lids.

Any place that sells pots and pans should have lids. Unless it's your personal choice, you don't have to stick to metal.

That would work, not a tight fit, but it would work. I don't have a TIG, though.

You know, a glass lid would be cool. I could watch the boil that way.

I got mine at Wal-mart. $5.86 or something like that. Fits nicely.

I put mine on after the boil to keep the extra flavors from leaves being added to the beer.

I cut a round piece of 1/2" plywood and then glued a round piece of 2" thick foam. Simple to make and supplies can be bought at your local lumber yard. I am going a step further and wrapping the lid in insulation and then painting it with a plastic coat.

Oh, I should mention that was for my HLT & MLT, for the keggle I guess you would have to drill a bunch of holes for the release of hot break.

Why are you boiling with a lid on???????

Right now, I brew on an electric stove top in the kitchen. I use a lid to get the boil going, then boil with it off. When I take the kettle off the burner to add something, I usually put the lid back on for a few minutes to get the boil going again, then take it off.

A clear lid would let me see when the roil has started again and avoid boil overs.

I got mine at Wal-mart. $5.86 or something like that. Fits nicely.

I put mine on after the boil to keep the extra flavors from leaves being added to the beer.

I use a piece of wire mesh to keep big stuff from falling into the cooling wort. I dont like covering with a lid when the wort is still hot because there is still some compounds in the water vapor and I dont want it to condense and drip back into the wort.

I am assuming the need to sanitize the lid would be for post IC cooling?

Yep. I'm also gearing up for a recirculating system, pumping wort through a plate chiller and back into the kettle until the desired temperature is reached. (My ground water is not so cold.) I'd want the lid on while the cooling takes place, I may even mount the return fitting on the lid.

Yep. I'm also gearing up for a recirculating system, pumping wort through a plate chiller and back into the kettle until the desired temperature is reached. (My ground water is not so cold.) I'd want the lid on while the cooling takes place, I may even mount the return fitting on the lid.

I do this without the lid and with no worries. I recirculate for about 5 minutes before I allow the final pass through to the fermenter but usually I only do this in the hottest bits of Summer. In winter, I easily get to 60*F with a single pass through my Shirron.

Oh, I am a noob. I thought hot break had to due with the release of DMS through a vigorous boil.

Fair enough. The Hot Break is the silky, thready, egg drop soup, crap that billows around in the kettle. It is actually proteins coagulating in the heat and is the majority of the sludge in the bottom of the kettle after the wort is drained off (mixed with hops of course if you haven't used a bag).

May not be siginifigant if you are extract brewing but can be down right offensive in some AG batches.

I do this without the lid and with no worries. I recirculate for about 5 minutes before I allow the final pass through to the fermenter but usually I only do this in the hottest bits of Summer. In winter, I easily get to 60*F with a single pass through my Shirron.

I brew on my back patio, and with fruit trees in the yard insects are a problem, especially in warmer months. Therefore, I like to slap that lid on as soon as possible after the boil. While it's only happened once, a few months ago I was horrified to find a giant fly in my cooled Helles wort!

I wish I had your groundwater temp. Last Sunday was the trial run for my Shirron, and since I hadn't rigged my pump yet, recirculation was impossible. Even with a pre-chiller, I could only get down to 85°, so recirculation seems like the way to go. My plan is to mount a quick-disconnect fitting in the lid or rim of the kettle and fit a short copper tube on the inside to get some whirlpool action going. As a bonus, pumping boiling wort should take care of sanitizing the pump, chiller & hoses.

I thought of using the old satalite dishes that were left by the previous owners of my home. I havent gotten around to cutting them to size yet. I bet you could find someone wanting to get rid of them for free

For the lid I used the piece I cut out from the keg and added some 5/8 tubing to both the lid and the keg that was split on one side with a razor blade. In other words just run the tubing along the edge of both the keg and the lid part. they sit on each other and make a great seal. I still have to test the temp aspect when boiling to see if the tubes dont get too soft.
I plan on finding a bung to fill the hole in the middle.
I'll try and post a picture shortly.

-S

For the lid I used the piece I cut out from the keg and added some 5/8 tubing to both the lid and the keg that was split on one side with a razor blade. In other words just run the tubing along the edge of both the keg and the lid part. they sit on each other and make a great seal. I still have to test the temp aspect when boiling to see if the tubes dont get too soft.
I plan on finding a bung to fill the hole in the middle.
I'll try and post a picture shortly.

-S

don't boil with the lid on

I prefer a t-shirt because it will collect the steam and the compounds that are still coming off the wort. And it prevents anything from falling in the wort.

Back