Is cider light sensitive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
Is cider light sensitive like beer as in prone to skunking? I've got it wrapped in a black t-shirt just in case.

It is the hops in beer that are photosensitive, although with cider I wouldn't think there is as much of an issue I certainly wouldn't let it sit in full sunlight or anything.

It won't skunk like beer, but it can definitely be light-struck. Keeping it covered is the way to go. I keep all of my wines, meads and ciders covered with a towel in a fairly dark/shadowy room, with good results.

Sounds good. I was being cautious but it won't hurt to keep it covered. I'm in the process of rearranging a closet to put all of my brew stuff in so it will be easier to keep the light out.

It's good to know that its the hops that get skunked. I didn't know that. So I guess an IPA would be more skunk prone than say a brown ale?

I was just wondering...what does light-stuck cider look like. I am beginning to think that my cider has been struck. I used clear cider and it is cloudy orange...makes me think maybe it's struck and I should just bottle it. It still tastes good though.

Light-struck doesn't matter with color, it's only with taste. I've tasted quite skunky coronas that look indistiguishable from non-skunked kinds. Cloudy orange has always been the norm with my ciders.

Light-struck doesn't matter with color, it's only with taste. I've tasted quite skunky coronas that look indistiguishable from non-skunked kinds. Cloudy orange has always been the norm with my ciders.

Well, I rarely disagree with ETJ, but light-struck does change color sometimes. It won't turn cloudy orange, though. More like a bleached out tan or even gray. The color kind of "bleaches" when it's like struck.

orange is the color that you get when a clear apfelwein/cider is fermenting- it will clear back up after primary finishes and the yeast fall out, which might be a little longer than for, say, a pale ale to clear

Back