Bottle Prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirBronto

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys use to remove bottle labels. I used 2 oz of bleach for 5 gallons of water last time and it removed the label for the most part but the glue was still on some, maby i should of added more bleach. So what do you guys use and where can one find it.

Also I dont know about you guys but I find that bottle prep is a very stressful activity. Always worried about sanitation. I usually wash them, put them in iodine stuff, then rinse with water, i am scared of rinsing too, and then lay tiped over on a towel. But who has time to do all of that and then bottle right after? I usually do this then go do my work then get back to it later in the day. I am always worried about them getting stuff on them from the air so I usually place a clean towel over them. * So my other question is how do you guys do bottle prep and how stressed to you get over it.

Soak them in oxy clean, takes the labels and all glue right off. No scrubbing needed either. I rinse them before storing them.

As for bottle prep. Since the bottle is already clean, all I do is fill a bucket with sanitizer and put as many bottles as I can in it. Let it sit for a minute and then drain and fill. I do one bottle at a time. This works well for me.

You do not need to rinse the sanitizer off the bottles....you are basically negating the sanitizer by doing this. Your sanitizer will not hurt the beer. And just to be sure, what kind of sanitizer are you using?

I was wondering what you guys use to remove bottle labels. I used 2 oz of bleach for 5 gallons of water last time and it removed the label for the most part but the glue was still on some, maby i should of added more bleach. So what do you guys use and where can one find it.

Also I dont know about you guys but I find that bottle prep is a very stressful activity. Always worried about sanitation. I usually wash them, put them in iodine stuff, then rinse with water, i am scared of rinsing too, and then lay tiped over on a towel. But who has time to do all of that and then bottle right after? I usually do this then go do my work then get back to it later in the day. I am always worried about them getting stuff on them from the air so I usually place a clean towel over them. * So my other question is how do you guys do bottle prep and how stressed to you get over it.

I use ammonia and warm water over night to soak.Try using your dishwasher
to finish washing with hot water.

What is the oxy clean to water ratio you use. Also what form of oxy clean do you use, the powdered stuff? Thanks ALOT for your reply.

Me personally, I use baking soda and water to remove labels and it works pretty good. As far as sanitation goes I wash bottles in the dish washer on the crystal setting. Then I allow them to dry, or realy I let the heated dry of the washer do it. then I rip up a bunch of 1x1 squares of tin foil wich i soak in star san and then use to cap the freshly washed and dryed bottles. Thats how I prep for storage. when bottleing day comes i give each one a qwick bath in starsan and fill and cap.

Oxyclean and hot water in an overnight soak gets rid of 90 percent of the labels I've come across...and the other 10 percent just take longer.

All you need to do is fill a rbbermade bin with a couple scoops of oxyclen, and hot water, and drop your bottles in.

If you are getting stressed out about any aspect of this hobby, you are doing something wrong. This is NOTHING you need to stress out about...It's a hobby afterall, and it's really hard to ruin your beer.

It may appear that there's a ton of infection threads, BUT if you actually read the content of the threads, and not just the title, you will realize that there's not a lot of actual infections, just a bunch of scared new brewers who don't realize how ugly fermentation can actually be.

Just like you, I bet, they think that their beer is a lot weaker than it truly is. Just the opposite, it is really really hard to get an infection.

And infections RARELY happen to the new brewers who are so paranoid that they think the mere looking at their fermenters will induce an infection.

Most of the time on here the beer in question is not infected. It's just a nervous new brewer, who THINKS something is wrong when in reality they are just unused to the ugliness that beer making often is.

It creates sort of like the hypochodria that med students often get when they start learning about illness, they start to "feel" it in themselves.

There is a lot of info here on "infections" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

This is one of the best posts on the subject....

If you pitch enough viable, healthy yeast to do their job, it's hard to contaminate your brew to the point it isn't drinkable. Trust me, I've had an infection in my brewery, and I had to work really hard to get it! :D In my case, it was on the fourth generation of re-using yeast which I had not washed properly (I was still a n00b back then). Every time you reuse yeast you are growing the level of contamination by 100-1000x, so I learned the hard way you have to be very careful going beyond 1 or 2 re-uses of yeast.

BUT A new brewer following sanitary procedures using new equipment is very unlikely to have ruined beer. The worst thing that may happen is your beer will go sour after 4-6 months of room temperature storage. I doubt your beer will last that long. :rolleyes:

You'll find that since beer has been made for millenia even before anyone understood germ theory, that even just the basic fact that we have indoor water, clean our living spaces and ourselves regularly and have closed waste systems, and a roof over our heads, that we are lightyears ahead of our ancestor brewers.

And despite the doomsayers who say that ancient beer was consumed young because it would go bad, they forget the fact that most of those beers were usually HOPLESS, and that the biggest reason hops were placed in beers was for it's antisceptic/preservative function.

So even if the beer had to be consumed young, it still must have tasted good enough to those folks most of the time to survive culturally for 4,000 years, and not go the way of pepsi clear or new coke. I'm sure even a few hundred or thousands of years ago, people were discerning enough to know if something tasted good or nasty...

Go take a look at my photo walkthrough of Labatt's first "pioneer" brewery from the 1840's https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/labatt-pioneer-brewery-128740/

Wood fermenters, open cooling pans, open doors, cracks in the logs and beams letting air in, and not one bottle of starsan in sight. :D

The way I figure even just having some soap and water, basic 21st century hygiene, and a basic understanding of germ theory trumps how it was done from Gilgamesh's time through Louis Pasteure's....

In most places we don't have to even worry about boiling our water before drinking it. :D

Best advice I have for new brewers, If you brew from fear, you won't make great beer!

You might make drinkable beer, or you might make crap...but until your realize that your beer is much hardier than you think it is, you will find that this is much more enjoyable of a hobby.

But infection worry, It is NOT something we have to freak out about, like new brewers do...It's just something to be AWARE of and keep an eye out.

But it's kinda like when you have a brand new car, you park at the far end of the lot away from everyone else, you are paranoid about getting every little scratch on it...Then you are backing out of the garage and take off a mirror, or get a ding on the bumper, then you no-longer stress out about it, because you've popped the cars cherry...If you do pick up a bug, you just treat it and move on.

And the reason I have collected THESE stories is to counter the fear and fear mongering that often happens.

So rather than looking for infections under every bed or in every brew closet, focussing from fear on the negative, I think it's better to look at examples of just how hard it is to screw up our beer, how no matter what we can do to screw up, it still manages to turn out fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And there is a cushion of co2 protecting your beer, so unless you or a bird take a crap in your fermenter, opening it up to take hydrometer readings will not lead you to automatically have infections...

Now as to bottling, read this, I outline my process here, and it take me about 45 minutes to bottle and that includes sanitizing them (it's really better to sanitize them right away, since with a no-rinse wet contact sanitizer you want to put beer on top of sanitized wet glass.)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Just relax about infections and everything else, and just enjoy brewing. Because if you are stressing about any aspect of this HOBBY, then you are working too hard!!!

:mug:

I use oxi clean FREE, the one with the green lid. 3/4 scoop to 5 gallons of water.

I like the bulk prepping before hand. It keeps bottleing days more fun and less time consumeing. Plus bulk prepping gives you another day working towards beer stuff as well as a reason to have a home brew or 2.

I use Oxyclean Free. 3 oz. in 5 gallons of water. I just keep an old Ale Pail full of Oxyclean solution in the kitchen and dunk my empties in there whenever I have a beer. When the bucket is full I give them a quick rinse, let them dry and store them away ready for bottling day.

To build on reddheadedsteopchild...I have an ale pale that just sits full of oxy clean 24/7. After I drink a beer I rinse it out, then put it in the oxy clean ale pale. When I realize it's full I let it sit a day and then take them out of the oxy clean, rinse, and let them dry. I then just store the empty bottles in beer cartons. I reuse the oxy clean until it doesn't take the labels off well. This is usually about 5 bucket fulls of bottles. Then I drain the pale and refill with water and oxy clean.

might as well throw in my two cents..

Whenever i drink a commercial beer, i rinse the bottle and put it on a shelf, after the 12pack is finished, i soak the bottles in warm water in the sink, peel the labels off and sometimes have to hit the glue with a brush.. (you just have to show Warsteiner bottles the sink full of water and the labels drop off !)

On bottling day, bright and early, i load all of the bottles into the dishwasher and with no soap put normal wash and extra heat and sterilize.. when it's done i put the bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher with the hose mounted to the spigot with a 1" piece of hose, and fill the bottles straight form the dishwasher, using the door as a "splashguard"

Works great and it's really easy ! ( and it hasn't killed me yet)

~Joey

might as well throw in my two cents..

Whenever i drink a commercial beer, i rinse the bottle and put it on a shelf, after the 12pack is finished, i soak the bottles in warm water in the sink, peel the labels off and sometimes have to hit the glue with a brush.. (you just have to show Warsteiner bottles the sink full of water and the labels drop off !)

On bottling day, bright and early, i load all of the bottles into the dishwasher and with no soap put normal wash and extra heat and sterilize.. when it's done i put the bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher with the hose mounted to the spigot with a 1" piece of hose, and fill the bottles straight form the dishwasher, using the door as a "splashguard"

Works great and it's really easy ! ( and it hasn't killed me yet)

~Joey

That's how I did it last time and it was perfect. Easiest bottling day I've had yet.

Just found the original thread where I learned those tricks and it was by Revvy , surprise surprise... tons of great tips.. it's stikied somewhere !

Oxyclean and hot water in an overnight soak gets rid of 90 percent of the labels I've come across...and the other 10 percent just take longer.

All you need to do is fill a rbbermade bin with a couple scoops of oxyclen, and hot water, and drop your bottles in.

If you are getting stressed out about any aspect of this hobby, you are doing something wrong. This is NOTHING you need to stress out about...It's a hobby afterall, and it's really hard to ruin your beer.

It may appear that there's a ton of infection threads, BUT if you actually read the content of the threads, and not just the title, you will realize that there's not a lot of actual infections, just a bunch of scared new brewers who don't realize how ugly fermentation can actually be.

Just like you, I bet, they think that their beer is a lot weaker than it truly is. Just the opposite, it is really really hard to get an infection.

And infections RARELY happen to the new brewers who are so paranoid that they think the mere looking at their fermenters will induce an infection.

Most of the time on here the beer in question is not infected. It's just a nervous new brewer, who THINKS something is wrong when in reality they are just unused to the ugliness that beer making often is.

It creates sort of like the hypochodria that med students often get when they start learning about illness, they start to "feel" it in themselves.

There is a lot of info here on "infections" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

This is one of the best posts on the subject....

You'll find that since beer has been made for millenia even before anyone understood germ theory, that even just the basic fact that we have indoor water, clean our living spaces and ourselves regularly and have closed waste systems, and a roof over our heads, that we are lightyears ahead of our ancestor brewers.

And despite the doomsayers who say that ancient beer was consumed young because it would go bad, they forget the fact that most of those beers were usually HOPLESS, and that the biggest reason hops were placed in beers was for it's antisceptic/preservative function.

So even if the beer had to be consumed young, it still must have tasted good enough to those folks most of the time to survive culturally for 4,000 years, and not go the way of pepsi clear or new coke. I'm sure even a few hundred or thousands of years ago, people were discerning enough to know if something tasted good or nasty...

Go take a look at my photo walkthrough of Labatt's first "pioneer" brewery from the 1840's https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/labatt-pioneer-brewery-128740/

Wood fermenters, open cooling pans, open doors, cracks in the logs and beams letting air in, and not one bottle of starsan in sight. :D

The way I figure even just having some soap and water, basic 21st century hygiene, and a basic understanding of germ theory trumps how it was done from Gilgamesh's time through Louis Pasteure's....

In most places we don't have to even worry about boiling our water before drinking it. :D

Best advice I have for new brewers, If you brew from fear, you won't make great beer!

You might make drinkable beer, or you might make crap...but until your realize that your beer is much hardier than you think it is, you will find that this is much more enjoyable of a hobby.

But infection worry, It is NOT something we have to freak out about, like new brewers do...It's just something to be AWARE of and keep an eye out.

But it's kinda like when you have a brand new car, you park at the far end of the lot away from everyone else, you are paranoid about getting every little scratch on it...Then you are backing out of the garage and take off a mirror, or get a ding on the bumper, then you no-longer stress out about it, because you've popped the cars cherry...If you do pick up a bug, you just treat it and move on.

And the reason I have collected THESE stories is to counter the fear and fear mongering that often happens.

So rather than looking for infections under every bed or in every brew closet, focussing from fear on the negative, I think it's better to look at examples of just how hard it is to screw up our beer, how no matter what we can do to screw up, it still manages to turn out fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And there is a cushion of co2 protecting your beer, so unless you or a bird take a crap in your fermenter, opening it up to take hydrometer readings will not lead you to automatically have infections...

Now as to bottling, read this, I outline my process here, and it take me about 45 minutes to bottle and that includes sanitizing them (it's really better to sanitize them right away, since with a no-rinse wet contact sanitizer you want to put beer on top of sanitized wet glass.)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Just relax about infections and everything else, and just enjoy brewing. Because if you are stressing about any aspect of this HOBBY, then you are working too hard!!!

:mug:

Revvy, you should write me some term papers since the majority of your posts seem to be just as long. lol

Is it just me or do other people not bother taking the labels off?

When I finish a commercial beer or homebrew, I immediately rinse out the bottle several times, hold my thumb over the mouth of the bottle and give them a good shake with warm water.

I then store them in a bunch of paper grocery sacks in my garage. On bottling day, I grab the bottles, re-rinse them with warm water, shoot them full of star san with the pump jet rinser and let them dry on my bottling tree.

Haven't had a problem with contamination.

I usually just mark the cap with a sharpie if I need to remember what kind of beer it is.

I always take the labels off. It'd drive me absolutely crazy if the labels were still on the bottles. Just bottled 54 bottles of Dry Irish Stout tonight, matter of fact.

Thanks again for your support Revvy. I feel like my next bottle will be stress free. Thanks all as well for your input.

I actually removed 2 cases worth of labels today. Just filled my sink up with some warm water and a little bit of Castrol SuperClean (very much like Simple Green, but it's purple).

Knocked the labels and most of the glue off of my Yuengling returnables no problem after soaking a couple hours.

I stupidly made the mistake of filling my sink with hot water and a drop or two of dish soap to get the labels off..Got the labels off just great but now that I think of it, it probably left a soap film in the bottles from the dish soap...When I sanatize will it help remove any film or are the bottles no good anymore?

But it's kinda like when you have a brand new car, you park at the far end of the lot away from everyone else, you are paranoid about getting every little scratch on it...Then you are backing out of the garage and take off a mirror, or get a ding on the bumper, then you no-longer stress out about it, because you've popped the cars cherry...

A metaphor right out of my playbook... very nice!

Being able to reflect on former popped cherries should make future similar situations less stressful.

One thing that makes my bottling day less stressful is after I dip my cleaned bottles in EZ-Clean I put them on my bottling tree. My dishwasher used to be my bottle tree but the 1 liter bottles were a bit too much for it.

BottleTree.jpg

Bottle trees rock!

:rockin:

As someone said, if you are stressing over bottle prep.. you are thinking way too hard about it.. here's my routine:

First, every beer I pour, I always rinse it out right away with hot water.
I have a 45 bottle tree, put em on there. When bottle tree is full, if label is already off, I store in 6-pack carriers, and put 4 full ones in a case box.
If label is on, I keep it on tree until I have about 20.

To remove label.. I have a magic secret that maybe no one knows about.
It's called....

HOT WATER. Seriously, I stopper and fill up sink with stopper with hottest faucet water, put bottles in (fill them so they sink). Let sit 24hrs.. and often times I'll empty sink and refill with hot again for 24 more hrs. I've done once cycle before.. but 2 just makes it that much easier.

Some labels fall right off (paulaner, sometimes new belgiums) others I can peel off in one piece (which I dry out and put on fridge:)), some are a bit more stubborn, but nothing a box cutter can't take off in 2 seconds. I do this over the trash. Then I use a standard green scrub pad remove residue. I scrub it under warm running tap water.
Then they go back on bottle tree.

I have not come across one label that gives me trouble with this. and I drink a large variety of craft brews. a sink full, about 20 bottles, takes me about 30 minutes to de-label once you've already soaked them in plain HOT water.

Then, a day before bottling day, I put 50 bottles on bottom rack of dishwasher, upside down of course, on the prongs. My DW is a perfect fit for 50, if I take out utensil holder. I run cycle on HOT water w/dry option, and DON'T add soap. The next day they are sanitized and dry, and I bottle.

I just use warm water

I'm laughing as I type this because I'm really not saying it to be mean or to stress anyone out BUT... my local HB guy showed me an article about how much bacteria survives in the hot water of your dishwasher. I used to run all my bottles in my dishwasher on the antibacterial cycle and never had a problem. He might have been just promoting that because he wants to sell more sanitizer...

My stress free routine is wash all bottles out after I drink the brew if I can, people always give me bottles with science projects in them though so I wash the bottles completely with a bottle brush and a bottle jet sprayer to rinse. I first use a large pot filled with hot water and a few drops of DAWN detergent. I rinse the bottles out several times and then submerge them in a bucket filled with EZ-Clean an Oxygen no rinse cleaner... I pull them out and put them on the bottle tree... Wait for everything to dry in about 30 min but you don't have to and then just bottle away... no dishwasher needed.

Do I think the hot dishwasher with the food grinder in it can really contaminate my bottles, dunno, but my LHB guy does...

I'm laughing as I type this because I'm really not saying it to be mean or to stress anyone out BUT... my local HB guy showed me an article about how much bacteria survives in the hot water of your dishwasher. I used to run all my bottles in my dishwasher on the antibacterial cycle and never had a problem. He might have been just promoting that because he wants to sell more sanitizer...

Honestly, I've felt this way for a long time, even before I got into home brewing. If you've ever actually stuck your head inside a dishwasher a few days after a wash, you will smell organic matter. There are just too many nooks and crannies where food particle can find their way into, rather than just the drain. And some of the rubber/plastic coating the tines and all the racking can become cut or busted over time, again leaving little places where biomatter will hide.

If you read the literature on IIRC starsan they even say the you have to be clean before you can sanitize, if there's a deep scratch in for example your bucket and there's biomatter present in the scratch it even says that starsan will not sanitize that....

I know a lot of folks think it's a good idea to sanitize in the dish washer, but I've always thought they were just big breeding grounds for nasties- just too complex inside. Too many places that can't be totally cleaned out...Not matter if the antibacterial cycle is being used, I bet the top and bottom four corners of the interior don't totally get hit with enough water to actually kill all.

That's my take on it. I've never recommended it, but if folks feel comfortable risking it, that's their perogative, but I'm sticking with a no=rinse sanitizer.

I dont even remove the labels. I fill it up with water let it soak for a little bit then I use the bottle brush to clean it out then once its dry I put it back in the box. Glass is pretty easy to clean and when I go to use I pour a little bit of starsan, shake it up, then fill it. Put a round sticker on the bottle cap with the type of beer and Im done. No stress

I think the dishwasher is supposed to rely on temperature to do the sanitizing. Having trace bits of leftover crud in there doesn't matter if it gets heated up enough that nothing of consequence is left alive.

I dunno there are bacteria that live in the deepest of ocean vents where it is over 212F ... Life finds a way. But I never had an infection from the dishwasher in, ahem, thousands of bottles. I just stopped using the dishwasher cause I use mostly 1L bottles and can't fit enough in there so I just wash them all by hand now. Another fact, heh, is that the hot water out of your faucet is much more likely to give you an infection than the cold faucet. Nasties like it warm... For this reason I never fill up with hot or even warm tap water, just cold... Cold baby cold...

You don't have to kill everything, that's why it is called sanitizing instead of sterilizing. Probably a dishwasher on its highest temp will do as good of a job of killing microorganisms as a coating in Starsan even if the inside of the dishwasher isn't perfectly clean of debris. Starsan can't penetrate tiny scratches on surfaces and tiny pores in dried-on gunk, but high temperatures probably can.

Another reason to not use hot tap water for brewing (or cooking) is that the mineral content is usually a lot higher than the cold water, enough that you can taste the difference. Look at the inside of a hot water heater sometime.

Honestly, I've felt this way for a long time, even before I got into home brewing. If you've ever actually stuck your head inside a dishwasher a few days after a wash, you will smell organic matter. There are just too many nooks and crannies where food particle can find their way into, rather than just the drain. And some of the rubber/plastic coating the tines and all the racking can become cut or busted over time, again leaving little places where biomatter will hide.

If you read the literature on IIRC starsan they even say the you have to be clean before you can sanitize, if there's a deep scratch in for example your bucket and there's biomatter present in the scratch it even says that starsan will not sanitize that....

I know a lot of folks think it's a good idea to sanitize in the dish washer, but I've always thought they were just big breeding grounds for nasties- just too complex inside. Too many places that can't be totally cleaned out...Not matter if the antibacterial cycle is being used, I bet the top and bottom four corners of the interior don't totally get hit with enough water to actually kill all.

That's my take on it. I've never recommended it, but if folks feel comfortable risking it, that's their perogative, but I'm sticking with a no=rinse sanitizer.

Just wanted to pop in to say that I use the dishwasher on sanitize/heat cycle and no infections in the bottles so far. Though, I do run it once with nothing in it, then immediately run it with my bottles for an hour and a half. Pretty easy for me lol

I bake my bottles to sterlize them. The night before I bottle, I cover the top of each bottle with a small piece of aluminum foil then place into the oven. I bake them for about an hour at 330. Once the hour is up, turn off the oven and let them cool overnight in the oven with the door closed. With the foil tightly over the lids, the bottles can be stored for long periods of time before bottling.

I bake my bottles to sterlize them. .

I'm sorry I had to laugh at that first line and say (like an SNL sketch) well I dip mine in old faithful to sterlize them...

Seriously baking them sounds over done but genius nonetheless! I wonder how many liter bottles I could fit in my oven? Can all bottles tolerate 330F w/out cracking even? Probably, eh? I think if you bake them and really want to kill everything you need to autoclave them...

Just used Oxy Clean as suggested on 80 bottles. There is no reason for any one to ever use anything alse, it is the best. Hot water and and cup of oxy will destroy what ever layed on and in the bottle. And it smells great and washes out far better than bleach. Thanks agian every one.

I'm sorry I had to laugh at that first line and say (like an SNL sketch) well I dip mine in old faithful to sterlize them...

Seriously baking them sounds over done but genius nonetheless! I wonder how many liter bottles I could fit in my oven? Can all bottles tolerate 330F w/out cracking even? Probably, eh? I think if you bake them and really want to kill everything you need to autoclave them...

You can truly sterilize them in the oven, see How to Brew for guidelines.

There is one (know) bacteria that autoclaving won't kill. Not a problem for beer though.

I prefer to concentrate on drinking and brewing, not cleaning. I couldnt care less what the label says or how much of it is left. The beer gets poured into a glass anyway. If I want to give away some beer as gifts I will buy new bottles and make labels, until then I think I have my priorities in the right order.

When I drink a bottle of beer I pull it out of the fridge, open it, pour it, rinse it, and put it in a box. I see it for about 60 seconds. I think I can remember if I bought a sixer of Longhammer or not, if I'm wrong, I get a surprise but its still beer.

Back