Digital Thermometer suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
I've asked for a new digital thermometer for Christmas, and my wife keeps asking me what I specifically want. I know there are many choices out there. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

I will be receiving the Thermoworks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen. I've heard it is a great thermometer.

411TTK6Y5TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WE45/ref=oss_T15_product

I use this one and its great. Temps are nearly perfect and it can be calibrated if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am switching to a K-type thermometer setup, I like the idea that I can get several thermocouples fairly cheap that are waterpoof. I use one at work for A/C diagnosis and they are quite accurate and reliable as far as I can tell

I will be receiving the Thermoworks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen. I've heard it is a great thermometer.

+1 on thermapen.

I received an email from them today about a combined infrared and probe thermometer for $69.99.

+1 on thermapen.

I received an email from them today about a combined infrared and probe thermometer for $69.99.

Just so you know, that combo infrared and probe thermapen is not as fast as the regular splashproof thermapen. According to their site, it is about 8-10 seconds which is similar to the taylor up above.

Also, as a question to thermapen owners, how fast do they read out? Truly instantly? Or in a few seconds?

The thermoworks website says that a full, accurate reading takes 3 seconds with the new model. I have no personal experience with it...yet!

The Taylor is awesome, I've done 5+ batches with it and its great reads perfect on an ice water test and a boiling test after several batches with no calibration needed. I even got up to 85% efficiency on one batch which I give some of the credit to the thermometer. Sure I'd love to have a thermopen but first off I don't want to pay for one then second I don't want to be a spaz and drop a $70 thermometer in a brew pot.

I am actually a cook at heart and I have burned through numerous digital therms over the years. I have come to the conclusion that they are all basically the same, but if I had to choose one brand it would be taylor.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Timer/dp/B00004XSC5

I have found that they all have basically the same fatal failure point, and that is in the probe. Specifically where the wire enters the top of the probe. This typically isn't sealed as well as one would think. Liquid gets in and the probe gives you bad readings. I finally figured out a way to make them work for years with no issues. As soon as you open the package, take a piece of heat shrink tubing and completely seal off and reinforce the point where the wire enters the probe. No liquid can get in and you have made the unit more robust.

I really prefer the style of therm that I mentioned above. It is much more versatile than the point and click kind. You can monitor the temp of your mash during the entire mash cycle. You can also monitor the temp of meats as they cook...the probe is in the oven/grill in the meat and the readout is external. Very handy.

I highly reccomend the Taylor above, but more importantly the modification to the probe that I outlined.

The "Original Super Fast Thermapen" is usually stable after 2 or 3 seconds. I love it and highly recommend it. I think the new splash-proof model uses the same probe with a watertight case.

$100 for a thermometer. Wow

The Taylor is $14

I've had several $14-$25 digitals that all failed, usually after giving badly inaccurate readings for a batch or two.

$100 is reasonable for a dependable piece of equipment IMO. Your experience may vary, but that's mine.

Also, I spend closer to $70.

+1000 on the Thermapen, if you're comfortable with the cost.

I have the Taylor digital & other kitchen analog thermometers. As a gift, I asked for the Thermapen for my birthday & SWMBO provided.

Dood. It is really a great tool. I guess I didn't realize how nice it would be to get almost instant reads of temp. With the Taylor & analog versions, it takes some time for the temp to settle in, not a long time, but with the Thermapen its so quick.

I wanted it for brewing, but now its my go-to for cooking. Its expensive, that's for sure, but its really a great thing.

There are Ryobi table saws and then there are cabinet shop table saws. Huge difference in price, but they both do the same thing. kinda..

I have the older thermapen all I do is take a baggie poke the probe threw it and leave the rest inside the bag this way if some water does splash's it its still ok. The new one still isn't waterproof they just sealed where the probe swings out. They still say not to get it water or oil on it.

I am actually a cook at heart and I have burned through numerous digital therms over the years. I have come to the conclusion that they are all basically the same, but if I had to choose one brand it would be taylor.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Timer/dp/B00004XSC5

I have found that they all have basically the same fatal failure point, and that is in the probe. Specifically where the wire enters the top of the probe. This typically isn't sealed as well as one would think. Liquid gets in and the probe gives you bad readings. I finally figured out a way to make them work for years with no issues. As soon as you open the package, take a piece of heat shrink tubing and completely seal off and reinforce the point where the wire enters the probe. No liquid can get in and you have made the unit more robust.

I really prefer the style of therm that I mentioned above. It is much more versatile than the point and click kind. You can monitor the temp of your mash during the entire mash cycle. You can also monitor the temp of meats as they cook...the probe is in the oven/grill in the meat and the readout is external. Very handy.

I highly reccomend the Taylor above, but more importantly the modification to the probe that I outlined.

Do you just leave this in the mash for the duration? I use a Taylor wine thermometer for mashing. Itt's accurate and all, but having a remote probe and alarm would be better for mashing and sparge water.

Rich

Thermoworks has a $20 digital thermometer which works great and is accurate within 1*F, it works great, you can buy it directly from them and I think it's $5 shipping. I also have a K-probe unit from them and two probes which I now use for brewing that cost me $120, it's the cat's meow especially the instant read waterproof wire probe which delivers a reading in under three seconds.

Latest posts

Back