New freezer chest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a freezer chest today. I will eventually turn it into a kegerator. For now I want to use it as a fermentation chamber for ales. With the Johnson controller, will I be able to get the freezer up to 68 degrees?

yep, no problem. Just turn the freezer to the coldest position, plug in your Johnson and set it to 68 degrees. I would set it to 66 myself though due the differential.

What about if the I put it in my basement? The basement is around 58 degrees. Would it be able to heat it up?

No, it will only have the ability to cool below ambient. If set at 68 and the temp was below that, it just wouldn't come on.

On Midwestsupplies.com The describe the controller as to being able to heat. Does that mean I would need a heat source?

On Midwestsupplies.com The describe the controller as to being able to heat. Does that mean I would need a heat source?

Yes, but the heat source can be anything from a light bulb to a small space heater. You do want to consider that the heater will be in a moist/wet environment and take the necessary precautions.

Well that sounds complicated. I will probably in the mean time, try lagering. Until I turn the freezer into a kegerator.

I have same plm ...want to convert chest freezer to ferm chamber ..have ranco, but basement is below 60, so will need a small heater for the freezer ..the repticare link is a cheap enough solution..I suppose it would be on all the time , and let the ranco control the temp through the freezer compressor.

An under $5 solution that works great for me for my ferment in the garage during the winter is a 25 watt vanity incandescent light bulb plugged into an extension cord. It just hangs there warming the inside and the freezer kicks on and off to maintain 68 degrees. I've used it for two winters so far without problems. All the parts are from Lowe's

FermenterHeater.jpg

Must be nice to have anything 60 degrees, here it was in the high 80s yesterday and my garage was in the 90s. The freezer is already kicking on to keep it to 65 for fermenting.

What is the best controller to use for someone who doesn't know much about wiring? Also, are they available at Lowes?

What is the best controller to use for someone who doesn't know much about wiring? Also, are they available at Lowes?

Not available at Lowes. You will have to order online from a homebrew supplier, Ebay, or another vendor.

Johnson and Ranco pre-wired controllers are readily available.

I purchased the Ranco's that have to be wired and with the instructions available online and with the unit, it was pretty damned easy.

I prefer digital
My wallet prefers analog

Analog will be cheaper, but digital has the advantage of selecting a specific temp exactly, where the analog is ....well.....analog.
digital = on/off
analog = on, off and everything in between

Analog is a littler harder and takes some tuning to hit exact numbers.

I have the unwired analog version because I'm a cheap bastid. Either should work fine. The upsides to the digital model are (1) temperature readout so you know what the temp is and (2) no small copper line to kink/break-- just a prewired probe.

If those are the wired version, you won't even need to do any wiring. The controller plugs into the wall, the fridge/freezer plugs into the controller, the probe goes in the fridge. That's it.

I use a digital Love controller for my fermenting chest freezer and a analog Johnson controller for my chilling and carbing chest freezer

Once more - a very simple solution.

.Going to Lowes or HD soon for small chest freezer which can serve as ferm chamber..has to be the easiest way .. but I will miss the magic bubbles (I am watching and listening to a Red Ale bubble away..

will need another ranco as well..oh well, its only money..

Yup got a Chest Freezer and JC Last Friday, brewed over the w/e and it's fermenting nicely, dispite the RECORD temps here 90 DEG!!!! I'm about to melt away.......

Back