Lansing Michigan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So my dad is driving up to Lansing Michigan in a few weeks and I want him to get some beer that you can only get up in Michigan. I am open to everything and anything.
Let me know what you recommend as a must get...
Thanks

If you like Bekgian Inspired beers, I recommend Brewery Vivant. They don't distribute very far, but they do can their beers and they are fairly easy to find around here.

Shorts is good. They brew a lot of odd stuff, but have some regular flavors out there as well. I don't think they distribute that far away either. Frankly, I am not a huge fan. The regular stuff is ok, but most of the odd stuff is just not my style. I love to taste them anyway, just for the novelty, and lots of people really like them.

Let's see... Greebush is actually a very good brewery near the state line down south. I've found some of their beers locally, and I expect they should be able to be found near Lansing.

Bells and Founders are must haves. You might be able able to find them down there, but if not, have a try of Bells Two Hearted, and Founders has a good Centennial IPA and their dark beers are fabulous! And really, any of their beers are just great, I am just not a fan of the fruit beers they offer. You may like them.

New Holland is also very good. Especially the Dragon's Milk Stout, but several other of their regular beers are top notch too.

Michigan has new breweries popping up all the time, and I'm not very familiar with the beers from the southeast area, Detroit, etc. With the exception of Dragonmead, which does a great job with English style ales.

You might have your dad ask the person at a bottle shop for their recommendations. There may be some actual Lansing beers that I'm not aware of. Or ask someone to give the location of the best bottle shop in Lansing area.

If you like Bekgian Inspired beers, I recommend Brewery Vivant. They don't distribute very far, but they do can their beers and they are fairly easy to find around here.

Shorts is good. They brew a lot of odd stuff, but have some regular flavors out there as well. I don't think they distribute that far away either. Frankly, I am not a huge fan. The regular stuff is ok, but most of the odd stuff is just not my style. I love to taste them anyway, just for the novelty, and lots of people really like them.

Let's see... Greebush is actually a very good brewery near the state line down south. I've found some of their beers locally, and I expect they should be able to be found near Lansing.

Bells and Founders are must haves. You might be able able to find them down there, but if not, have a try of Bells Two Hearted, and Founders has a good Centennial IPA and their dark beers are fabulous! And really, any of their beers are just great, I am just not a fan of the fruit beers they offer. You may like them.

New Holland is also very good. Especially the Dragon's Milk Stout, but several other of their regular beers are top notch too.

Michigan has new breweries popping up all the time, and I'm not very familiar with the beers from the southeast area, Detroit, etc. With the exception of Dragonmead, which does a great job with English style ales.

You might have your dad ask the person at a bottle shop for their recommendations. There may be some actual Lansing beers that I'm not aware of. Or ask someone to give the location of the best bottle shop in Lansing area.

I vary a bit. I hate Brewery Vivant's beers with a passion. (love Belgian beers). Short's only distributes in MI and they are fantastic, so they are def a good choice. I would say most anything from the following breweries are pretty good bets as well Dark Horse, New Holland, Dragonmead, Kuhnhenn's, Founders, Arcadia, Jolly Pumpkin (if you like sours). I'm sure you can get Bell's in FL... Not sure if you like meads...I know B. Nektar is in FL... But Schramm's recently opened and his bottles are making it out to stores... Not sure if they are to Lansing yet though...

The real question is what bottle shops are there in Lansing. I'm not that familiar with the area so I can't help you there.

Oddside Ales: citra(pale ale) black citra (black pale)

Shorts: Pan Galactic gargle blaster(double imperial belgian IPA)

Motor city brewing company:ghettoblaster(english mild)need at least one beer from Detroit proper

Dragonsmead:Final Absolution(tripel)

Bell's two hearted, Founder's porter, New Holland's Black Hatter in a 22 0z bomber. These are my Michigan faves, but any of the above mentioned beer is very good. The one am not a fan of is Founder's rye beer. YUCK! And I like rye beers. Oh and Dragon's Milk is a must if you never tried it before. It'll blow your mind. Or at least your taste buds...

Bells, New Holland, Founders and Shorts are all good selections and very easy to find in the Lansing area. Kuhnhenn and Dragonmead will probably require a decent bottle shop.

If you like stouts:
* Bells Expedition Stout (big RIS)
* New Holland Dragon's Milk (barrel aged and tasty - get a 22 oz)
* Founders Breakfast Stout (coffee stout)

IPAs:
* Bells Two Hearted (centennial)
* Shorts Humalupalicious (more centennial)
* Founders Centennial IPA (yep, centennial)

Another favorite is "Bells Third Coast Old Ale", not to be confused with their "Third Coast Beer". Not sure why these are named nearly the same, the old ale is great, the other is a pretty ordinary blonde ale.

In the East Lansing area, here are a couple good shops:

Goodrich Shop-Rite (http://www.goodrichshoprite.com/) - A grocery store easily accessible from the expressway and right near the MSU campus. Looks like a regular grocery store but has a surprisingly good selection.

Oades Big Ten (http://bigtenpartystores.com/) - They have a few locations, I prefer the one on Clippert Ave; they have a good selection. You can build your own six pack here and the people are knowledgeable so it might be a good way to grab a wide variety.

Horrocks (on the west side, Saginaw highway) has a pretty good selection also.

Back