Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine not having my FB account. Sure I spend too much time on it. But I'm a military guy. Easily the best way to keep in touch with everyone from back home and elsewhere that I've met.

I deleted my FB a while back too. I still talk to the people I want to and I feel so much better. In retrospect it was a big waste of time and mostly just people looking to get "likes"
I left mostly for professional reasons, but too much garbage on FB.

I can't imagine not having my FB account. Sure I spend too much time on it. But I'm a military guy. Easily the best way to keep in touch with everyone from back home and elsewhere that I've met.

Now THAT is a GOOD reason to keep it. :rockin:

BrewKnurd said:
Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.

And when there is, it's usually BrewKnurd that's doing it, but..
No, just kidding. It's me. Pay your $25 and come on over, you'll have a blast.

Well, I guess if you equate occasional name calling to an overall atmosphere of disrespect, then ok.... to me there's a significant distinction between the how the OP presented things and what exists in our debate forum.

So you can rest your case, but if I'm on the jury, I'm unconvinced. :D

So I express my opinion and you get on me for it? I rest my case. :)

Oh, don't worry...this isn't really on my case like usually in a political forum, but hopefully you see the irony in your post.

"THICK SKIN A MUST!" Hmmm.... sounds like I might have to do some exploring.

So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion."

There's your mistake. I never have or never will post anything controversial on facebook. At best, you will get people who agree with you, but most likely you will also piss off a lot of people.

I am 25 and all my good friends and I keep our facebook updates to a minimum and steer clear of any controversy. It goes beyond politics, too. I don't want to hear about how you just ran three miles. I don't care that you checked into a boring restaurant with your clingy girlfriend. I don't want to see pictures of your food you are eating. I don't want to read a thinly veiled attack on a friend you just got in a fight with. I don't give a flying **** that you decided to stay in tonight drinking margaritas and watching some ****ty movie on Netflix. (Let's be honest, you do that every Friday night.)

I have unsubscribed from over half my facebook friends because of stupid **** like this. It would be satisfying to post this on facebook, but then I would be breaking my own rule. I love facebook and use it all the time, but people need to learn how to use it properly, which most of the time means shutting up.

There's your mistake. I never have or never will post anything controversial on facebook. At best, you will get people who agree with you, but most likely you will also piss off a lot of people.

Yeah, I just wanted some outside opinions and discussion on something we were talking about at work. It's frustrating to me that we can't have a normal discussion without someone taking things personally or making it personal. That's the problem.

I am 25 and all my good friends and I keep our facebook updates to a minimum and steer clear of any controversy. It goes beyond politics, too. I don't want to hear about how you just ran three miles. I don't care that you checked into a boring restaurant with your clingy girlfriend. I don't want to see pictures of your food you are eating. I don't want to read a thinly veiled attack on a friend you just got in a fight with. I don't give a flying **** that you decided to stay in tonight drinking margaritas and watching some ****ty movie on Netflix. (Let's be honest, you do that every Friday night.)

I have unsubscribed from over half my facebook friends because of stupid **** like this. It would be satisfying to post this on facebook, but then I would be breaking my own rule. I love facebook and use it all the time, but people need to learn how to use it properly, which most of the time means shutting up.

What do you use your FB for?

Yeah, I just wanted some outside opinions and discussion on something we were talking about at work. It's frustrating to me that we can't have a normal discussion without someone taking things personally or making it personal. That's the problem.

What do you use your FB for?

Staying in touch with friends, organizing and finding events, sharing photos, promoting my brewery, keeping up with the brewing industry, following record labels and artists I like, looking at girls photos for bikini shots ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love facebook. People who delete facebook usually never used it much in the first place. If you get annoyed, just unsubscribe from people until your news feed is just good stuff. I usually give someone one chance, but if they keep it up, they're out. I never defriend anyone because I think that's petty and mean, though.

I am friends with a lot of my parents' friends, and I gotta say that their generation is so much worse than mine with this ****. Just an endless spew of polarizing political bull****. I thought people knew not to talk politics in polite company...why is facebook any different?

Facebook is too exciting. Every morning I hurry to my computer to find out what horrible things I wrote to friends, family, and colleagues on Facebook the night previous while under the complete control of that which obliterates precious inhibition.

Without this morning procedure my day would be stable and dull. I would have to resort of a new sort of ritual humiliation. Therefore I vote nay.

whoaru99 said:
So I express my opinion and you get on me for it? I rest my case. :)

Oh, don't worry...this isn't really on my case like usually in a political forum, but hopefully you see the irony in your post.

"THICK SKIN A MUST!" Hmmm.... sounds like I might have to do some exploring.

No, I can't say I see the irony in simply expressing a disagreement. You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. I didn't call you names, insult you, or any of the things you said political discussions degrade into. :D

Staying in touch with friends, organizing and finding events, sharing photos, promoting my brewery, keeping up with the brewing industry, following record labels and artists I like, looking at girls photos for bikini shots ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love facebook. People who delete facebook usually never used it much in the first place. If you get annoyed, just unsubscribe from people until your news feed is just good stuff. I usually give someone one chance, but if they keep it up, they're out. I never defriend anyone because I think that's petty and mean, though.

I am friends with a lot of my parents' friends, and I gotta say that their generation is so much worse than mine with this ****. Just an endless spew of polarizing political bull****. I thought people knew not to talk politics in polite company...why is facebook any different?

Yeah I liked getting updates from breweries and bars. That was cool.

I didn't mind unfriending because I don't care about how many "friends" I had on FB. I tried to keep only people I actually talked to. I hated how many requests I received just because you saw me somewhere, we have a mutual friend, or you were one of the 500 people I graduated with but never talked to. That's weird...

The trick is to remember that facebook is not as important as you think it is and neither is your reputation. Everyone sees you more clearly than you see yourself. FB is an excellent opportunity to test subtle social experiments against friendly audiences. Also it is a wonderful place to make new friends.

FB is an excellent opportunity to test subtle social experiments against friendly audiences.

Ha! Never thought of it that way, but might explain some of the stuff i've seem some some friends....

Also it is a wonderful place to make new friends.

So i know this is how it works for some folks... but I have little to no interest in meeting new people on facebook. Granted, I get to know some folks that I meet at the homebrew club a little better through conversations on our facebook page. But that's as close as I get to making new friends on FB.

So i know this is how it works for some folks... but I have little to no interest in meeting new people on facebook. Granted, I get to know some folks that I meet at the homebrew club a little better through conversations on our facebook page. But that's as close as I get to making new friends on FB.

That's as close as anyone gets to making new friends, I think. I'm not sure why else people have interest in meeting others (on facebook or anywhere) other than to satisfy a love of similar interests. FB isn't exactly like myspace in terms of popularity contest for most people, I think. But still, people obviously have anxieties about the number of 'friends' they have being not high enough, etc.

Meh. I too grow tired of the same pointless posts. I mean there are the ones that post about their cat -every day-. Those are the ones that get defriended first. Dont care if you are a longtime friend. But lately it seems that the same folks post the same stuff and I grow tired of it. Funny thing about that though. Since I started buying every different craft brew I could find... And taking a picture of a full glass with the bottle next to it... And posting it telling everybody to try it... I have been getting less and less responses. Except for the one or two others that drink a lot of craft brews. I mean, come on!! What's their PROBLEM!!! I NEED ACCEPTANCE!! LIKE MY POST!!! --insert muted trumpet sound-- waah waah waah...

But seriously I guess I do not really care about what my HS friends are doing every day and would be happy with a cell number or an E mail address. There are a couple (as in truly one or two) that I communicate with on a regular basis so thats really it. Do I need FB? probably not. However I was lucky that none of my FB friends turned into Whack a Doodles over the election. I did not have to defriend anybody over that.

I see my good/close friends on a weekly basis. Other friends that I don't see as often I text. I have email/phone number of my family members so I just didn't see the point.

I too used to post pics of brewing quite often and noticed that the only ones that commented or liked the stuff were the guys that brew too... and they are always WITH me when I brew. lol I stopped doing that..

I use facebook less as a social tool, and more as a networking tool.

Looking at my "friends" list, out of 260 "friends" Roughly 200 are Animal rescue groups or animal advocates. The rescue community on facebook is absolutley f*n huge... and a big sh8tstorm of politics, egos, truly passionate people, and wallowers in sorrow. But we still manage to save hundreds of animals' lives a day by using Facebook as a networking tool.

What is really f'ed up is when facebook bans (short term or permanent) animal advocates for crossposting too many times. Crossposting mostly happens when an animal comes in on the wire up for euthanasia. We typically get a "due out" date that the animal is to be put to sleep. When this happens, an animal can be crossposted tens of thousands of times by advocates and rescues across the country in hopes of finding a temporary foster home, or a stay of execution. Some folks crosspost a LOT of animals, and get in trouble with facebook for doing so.

I have been warned a couple times because I am like a bull in a china shop when a coyote, coydog, wolf, wolfdog, or any animal labeled as a wolfdog or coydog is posted. Lots of uneducated people spouting crap about an animal they have only seen a picture of, threatening to call Game&Fish or the Ranger because there is a "wild" animal at a municipal shelter (if G&F or The Ranger deams an animal a wild specimine in a municipal shelter, the animal is PTS). The story plays out the same...I go evaluate the animal, find it is a wolfy looking dog with no wolf or coyote content then post my findings and a professional evaluation ... Then some troglodite tries to disagree because they think they have more knowledge than me because they have a picturebook (and they call Game&Fish)...It usually ends up a brawl...I have always won, only because I am respected in the community of educated wildlife folks regarding wild canids.

This is my facebook experience, Yours may vary.

BTW, Politics and facebook is bad...

BTW also, the problem with facebook is the people that use it....

+1 with the pointless post.

Or you ever hear the real life gossip talk

"oh well on face book blah blah said this ___. yeah I heard blah blah said that blah blah is a a**hole.".

Or if you delete a "friend" and that gossip gets around. FB to me is nothing but chickenheads.

I work in food so at lunch time everyone is on FB either inside paying for food or the drivethrew waiting for food. But on the other hand I deleted FB but im on HBT alot. Look its 7:40 am and im making post. Lol well good day fellow homebrewers!

The China version of Google is crazy. I have a lot of similar searches that I do regularly and when I was in China this spring I was searching to find some machine parts and probably half of my regular "hits" were missing! It was a real PIA and cost me a bunch of extra e-mails and phone calls to work around the block. Errrggggg!

Back