Keep lager temp higher for the first day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkondolian

Reaction score
I'm trying my first lager using Wyeast california 2112 'smack packet'. I pitched last night in my basement, which is about 50 - 55 degrees.

Packet instructions are to pitch at 70 degrees, then keep the fermenter at 70 until you see bubbles, then drop to lagering temp.

I've never heard of this 'keeping at the pitching temp until you see bubbles' strategy before. But, on the other hand, I'm a newbie, which is why I'm posting here. Does anyone else do this, or do you normally just wait longer for the primary to get rolling when using a lower-temp lager yeast?

I think those instructions are for people who don't make a starter. Because lagers ferment at colder temperatures, you need a lot more yeast to start a healthy ferment. A smack-pack just isn't enough yeast.

I always pitch and ferment at the yeast strain's recommended lower range. I'm making a lager today- I have a big (about 3/4 gallon) yeast starter ready to go in the fridge. When my wort is 50 degrees, I'll decant that starter and add the yeast at 48 degrees into the wort, and place at 50 degrees for approximately 10 days to 2 weeks for primary.

I like pitching cold. It seems to reduce the off flavors and usually eliminate the need for a diacetyl rest. It takes some advance planning, though, because of the starter and I like to decant the spent wort. If you consult mrmalty.com, there is a pitching calculator there to tell you how much yeast you'll need for any fermentation. I'm still a bit low on my pitching rate, but I'll be fine.

I guess my thinking is this- I don't pitch an ale yeast at 90 degrees, then turn it down to 70 after it gets going. So, I don't do it for lagers either. I think it'll take a long time to get it to drop 20 degrees once signs of fermentation start, and if it drops to fast the yeast may be a bit stunned. I would think that by the time fermentation temperature is "correct", the fermentation would be nearly over.

Latest posts

Back