Possible cheap source of grain...need help with terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a health food store close by. I was hoping to get my 2row from them. I called up and asked for 2row and she immediately thought I wanted malt extract...after I got that cleared up, she asked if I want unhulled barley, or hulled barley...

this is where it got confusing.

I don't know what I want...am I looking to get straight barley? Does it have to be 'malted' before I use it? I have a grain crusher, so I assume unhulled barley is uncrushed barley? I can get the grain for .85/lb and my LHBS is selling it for 1.25/lb, so it's a significant savings for me. I just need to make sure I don't end up with 50lb of deer feed.

if I give her my order before 4pm today she'll have it by 4pm on Wednesday!

I appreciate any help you all can give! Thank you!

You want MALTED barely...I'd be really surprised if a health food store carried it, since I believe, the only thing that it is used for is the production of alcohol....Malt extract can be used in cooking/baking and that's why they carry it..Though my understanding is the cooking extract may have a lot of adjuncts in it like corn syrup and may not be as pure as brewer's malt extract.

Thanks for the speedy replies! I called the woman back and told her I definitely need to be sure it is malted barley. She's going to do some research and call me back and see if she can get some. She is a health food store that also carries a small variety of beer making supplies. How knowledgeable she is I do not know, but we'll see what she comes up with. I'll have my fingers crossed. A twenty minute drive beats the snot out of $48 in shipping ;) Thanks again guys!

Back