Grandma's liquid apple pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good day Gentlemen:

I'm a newly returning homebrewer and would like to dabble in mead making. My question has to do with any preservatives in the Apple Cider mentioned above. I would think that the preservatives put into commercially (Grocery Stores) available apple cider would hinder the fermentation - am I wrong?

I'd love to try this receipe!

Thanks

wellp just made 5.5g of this

5# orange blossom honey
5 gallons indian summer apple cider
1# corn sugar
1# brown sugar
ec-1118 yeast
2.5tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp pectin enzyme
3 cinnamon sticks

Update. Well it's been 4 weeks, Cyser sitting in secondary after racking for about 2 weeks now. Small amount of lees, fermented down to 1.00 so far, so maybe a little more to go.

That said I pulled a sample and it's not great tasting at all, I'll have to let it sit. I put about 1/4 cup of sugar in about 14 oz of it and it doesn't taste all that great with the addition of sugar anyways. No strong apple taste, no strong cider taste, no honey taste really. Just sort of bland.

Does the sweetness, apple, cinnamon and honey come through later on in aging?

Do you have to do a secondary, or can I just leave it in the primary until time to bottle? Also, do I need to pasteurize before bottling? If so, how is that done? Sorry for the newbie questions. I've been brewing beer for almost 5 years. This will be my first shot at brewing mead.

Do you have to do a secondary, or can I just leave it in the primary until time to bottle? Also, do I need to pasteurize before bottling? If so, how is that done? Sorry for the newbie questions. I've been brewing beer for almost 5 years. This will be my first shot at brewing mead.

Leaving it in primary it has too much headspace and you want to rack it off of the lees.

Bottled this tonight after spending a few weeks in the fridge to clear. Sample of what did not fit in a bottle and it's ok. Light Apple and cinnamon flavor hopefully it gets better aging in the bottles.

How long does need to age to hit its peak?
Opened a bottle last night and it was only a slight improvement compared to bottling night.

If I'm unable to touch the prepared mead for a few months will the cinnamon stick go bad in the fermenter?

Did anybody bother to degas theirs? I've had mine sitting for about 3-4 months it's still cloudy, was thinking about using a wines clarifier from the LHBS, what do you think?

I just wanna say.. Holy ****.. I started a brew April 2nd, bottled it today. 2 one gallon batches. Oddly enough one went to 14% the other to 16%. I had about a cup left over of the 14% so I drained it into a cup and threw it into the fridge... This is phenomenal! No bottle aging and yet this is already the favorite thing I've ever brewed.. I can't wait to do a 5 gallon batch [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Been wanting to do a Mead for a while now... I know this is an older post but I’m glad I found it. Gonna whip some up this weekend!

Made this a couple of months back. I did the six cinnamon sticks. It's a bit much on the cinnamon. Maybe next time I will only three or four.

IMG_2772.JPG

This recipe sounded good, so why not!

Reading through the whole thread (I believe) I saw D47, EC1118, & 71B used.

To anyone who used 71B, what was the ABV with the OP recipe? I'd like to bottle carb this and don't want to max the alcohol tolerance of 71B.

Anyone decide to throw some fresh/frozen apples in secondary?

I gotta say I saw this recipe yesterday and made it tonight! Only change I made is I added 6 ounces of raisins. My OG was 1.090. Apple juice is probably watered down nowadays LOL. I used Abbaye yeast and it's in a room that's 68 degrees, might put a heater on it tomorrow if it's not bubbling.....

Back