cooler tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
I bought a coleman that came without a spigot so I drilled a hole and installed a waterproof valve with a copper manifold. However, when I fill my cooler and open the valve, the flow stops above the manifold. I can't get a syphon out of that damn thing and there's like a gallon left. How come ? I soldered everything ! I'll try posting a picture later on

P1020187.jpg

Ok here's my setup.

And no, I stil don't have a hose attached to the end of the valve. I can't find any hight temp food grade tubing at home depot. Any idea ? So by plugging a tube on the other side, I should get a siphon ?

To siphon, the "outlet" must be lower than the "inlet", otherwise you'll just drain to the level of the outlet and not below. A siphon is created when liquid flows from high to low. In your case you have no tubing to lower the outlet end of the valve below the manifold.

To answer your question, yes, you need a hose and the outlet end of the hose must be below the bottom level of the cooler, preferable by a foot or more, or it will not siphon.

All right thanks for the info ! And yes that's a stupid zinc plated washer in there. I can't find stailess washers around here. I'm looking at fastenal.com but I don't know the size I need for my 1/2" brass nipple. I know people use 7/8 fender washer but what should the inside diameter be ?

Yeah. I wouldn't use the zinc plated washer. It will literally be a corroded mess after just one mash. I couldn't find SS at HD or Lowes but ordered 10 SS fender washers from Fastenal for like $14. Zinc is fine for outside the MLT but you DO NOT want it inside. Throw one of them in a cup of vinegar and you'll see just how not corrosion resistant they are. It'll be corroded in just a few minutes. A 5.2 PH mash will do the same thing in 60 minutes.

I use a 1/2 nipple on the interior of my mash tun too. You'll need a 3/4" diameter opening in your washer.

Thank you very much guys for all the tips ! I knew about the corrosion thing, I already did a batch with my cooler and it's already rusted, hence why I'm trying to improve my cooler right now before the next brewing session

How do you make a manifold of copper without having burrs and prevent metal flakes or dust from getting into your mash?

What is suggested to cut the slits into the copper tubing? Then what do you do to make it clean and free of debris/dust?

Kuhndog said:
How do you make a manifold of copper without having burrs and prevent metal flakes or dust from getting into your mash?

What is suggested to cut the slits into the copper tubing? Then what do you do to make it clean and free of debris/dust?

I used a wire brush to clean the pipe of metal shards, and I opted to drill holes instead of trying to use a hacksaw to make slits. It was easy and works perfectly.

I made a 3/4 washer from a 5/8 one, they are easier to find and OD is perfect for my cooler

Latest posts

Back