What category do I enter a Gose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hey BJCP people- I want to enter my Gose in an upcoming competition and I'm not sure where it fits? It's a traditional Gose, so it's brewed with lacto, corriander and salt.

It could technically fit in Specialty or Spice/Vegetable/Herb. Where do you think is most appropriate??

I'm not a BJCP person, but I think you should enter in category 23- Specialty beer. How did it come out? You did use 50-60% wheat, didn't you?

Thanks. Yes I did. To be totally honest, for the first time brewing a style that there aren't many commercial examples of, I think it turned out awesome.

It was a third generation lacto cake, so it soured really nicely. I gave the lacto a 48 hour headstart at high temps (90 degrees), let the temp. come down to ale temps, and then pitched german ale yeast. A good balance of sour and salt and nice citrus/spice from the East India corriander. Such a different style. I'm going to keep some around for quite awhile to let it age and get more sour.

Since Gose is German in heritage it is best placed in Cat 23.

Not sure I follow? I was talking either 23 or 21. I realize that it's German heritage, but why would that make it more appropriate in the broad specialty category versus Spice category??

Since a Gose is "sour" but not does not fit into category 17. Usually you would place a Belgian inspired Sour that doesn't fit into 17 into 16E. Like a strong Oud Bruin (SOB) Or if it is an American Sour it goes into Cat 23. My thinking was since it was German it would go into 23 also. I am not sure I would call salt a spice, but I could be swayed easily.

Since a Gose is "sour" but not does not fit into category 17. Usually you would place a Belgian inspired Sour that doesn't fit into 17 into 16E. Like a strong Oud Bruin (SOB) Or if it is an American Sour it goes into Cat 23. My thinking was since it was German it would go into 23 also. I am not sure I would call salt a spice, but I could be swayed easily.

I see what you're saying, thanks. I tend to agree with you, but I didn't know if having a good dose of corriander AND salt would bump it into 21 in the eyes of some judges. I think I'll go for 23. Finding a judge that knows the style will be tough either way. Thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back