Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HootHootHoot said:
I bought a 3/4" x 18" water heater connector instead of the 1/2" diameter... Will this still work or should I go look for a 1/2"?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100261679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Just seems real big compared to the fittings that will go on each side. But will this matter if I zip tie it down real good?

Thanks

I'd get the 1/2. The larger diameter hose won't really benefit you, and may just cause more dead space.

to anyone considering whether to get a kettle screen or construct one, i'd really recommend getting one for the $18-20 they cost. they're incredibly sturdy and do not require structural reinforcement. they twist out and can be cleaned, whereas the water heater screens are very fragile.

To chime in on that note of structural integrity, you could also make a CPVC manifold. Mine works wonderfully.

The picture shows it upside-down to show the holes I made.

photo 3.jpg

i just did this build but a little simpler somehow tweak... i used 1/2 inch ball valve and needing no o rings just the original seal from the cooler with one washer tightened up against it..also used a tee to make a loop instead of the one line of ss braid, testing it right now for an hour at 145 to see my temp loss. As far as leaks i've been looking meticulously and not one drip! can't wait to do my first 5 gallon ag batch

Thanks for this. I just made mine as per the instructions. Now I just need a turkey fryer and wort chiller and I will be going all grain.

I made the same thing using the original instructions but inside instead of the hose and clamps I purchased a screen with. 1/2 inch male end. And got a 3/8 to 1/2 female end to connect it to.

Check at your local Ace Hardware (or Stine). Ace employees can actually HELP you instead of just staring at you with a dumb look. Guy at HD told me the valves weren't made in brass anymore, only plastic. I told him he was ridiculous and walked away. You can find stainless braided hose with the water heater parts.

the only O-ring they had said it was good for 120 degrees. will that suffice or does anyone know where i can get a better one?

also, i've now gone to Home Depot twice and bought the supply hose and both times it was a different model yet still made of polymer. i don't know who the bigger a$$hole is...me for believing them or them for insisting that they're made of stainless steel.

GoldenShowerGladiator said:
the only O-ring they had said it was good for 120 degrees. will that suffice or does anyone know where i can get a better one?

also, i've now gone to Home Depot twice and bought the supply hose and both times it was a different model yet still made of polymer. i don't know who the bigger a$$hole is...me for believing them or them for insisting that they're made of stainless steel.

I don't know how your HD is configured, but at mine the poly supply hoses are all displayed prominantly in packages at eye level, while the SS ones are loose in shallow cardboard bins at about ankle level. I really had to stare at their arrangment for awhile before I saw them.

will this supply hose work? the guy at Home Depot said they don't make them in SS anymore...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I personally dislike HD a lot. If someone gives you advice at HD, flip a coin to see if they are correct. :D

Lowes had everything on this list, except the 5/8 SS washer. I bought a 1/2" SS washer and used a dremel to make it big enough. I used the latex(?) seal that came with the cooler and tried it out tonight with water - no leaks in sight. I'll do an AG with it tomorrow.

barrooze said:
I used a regular garden hose o-ring for mine and it works just fine.

That's what I was able to find. Its on the outside though, and I'm not sure its even doing anything.

Wow there are too many pages to read through.

Anyone have opinions on what works better, the stainless steel braided hose or a drilled bottom mesh? My buddy has the drilled bottom mesh in his mash tun and we have had good success with the wort draining. I already had the stainless mesh braid laying around and figured I would give it a try but I would rather save myself the time and a wasted batch of wort by just getting the false bottom if the consensus leads to the mesh tubing not being that great.

thanks,

elementfiftyfour said:
Wow there are too many pages to read through.

Anyone have opinions on what works better, the stainless steel braided hose or a drilled bottom mesh? My buddy has the drilled bottom mesh in his mash tun and we have had good success with the wort draining. I already had the stainless mesh braid laying around and figured I would give it a try but I would rather save myself the time and a wasted batch of wort by just getting the false bottom if the consensus leads to the mesh tubing not being that great.

thanks,

This works awesome. Never had a stuck sparge even when doing a pumpkin ale, and you hardly even need to lauter, grain comes through with about the first 6 ounces and that's it

Has anyone tried to make this cheaper by eliminating the ball valve and using a clamp on the tubing instead?

Like this:
7112.jpg

drocu said:
Has anyone tried to make this cheaper by eliminating the ball valve and using a clamp on the tubing instead?

Like this:

I know some people who have... but myself personally I wouldn't trust a 50 dollar batch of barleywine to a plastic clip. What happens if it breaks? You're screwed that's what.

bovineblitz said:
I wound up using a 5/8" neoprene washer on the inside. Couldn't get o-rings to seal properly for some reason.

Oh yeah, I remember you. Glad it finally worked out for you. Where did you find those? I can guarantee my stock gasket isn't going to last forever...

Oh yeah, I remember you. Glad it finally worked out for you. Where did you find those? I can guarantee my stock gasket isn't going to last forever...

They were at Home Depot in a pull out drawer in the aisle with nails and screws and things. It was in one that said "grommets". I only found it cuz I asked an employee.

So my seal is just a SS washer putting pressure on the rubber grommet, no o-rings. Works great.

I checked the MSDS for neoprene and am comfortable using it in my mash tun, it's rated to 190*F too.

One unforeseen problem with this project is that a large orange cooler seems to signal the neighbors passing by to come over and see what's going on. They always creep up the driveway like they've stumbled upon some sort of secret moonshine still out in the woods.

But anyway, I need some tubing for the spigot. Can anyone let me know what specs I should be looking for?

Thanks!

I need some tubing for the spigot. Can anyone let me know what specs I should be looking for?

I think this is what I used for my 1/2" spigot. Watts 1/2 in. x 10 ft. Braided-Vinyl Tubing. I went with the braided tubing after seeing a friend's spigot hose get too flexible when the hot wort went through it. If you have a HD or Lowes nearby, just take your spigot (if not permanently attached to your MLT) to your store and see what hose fits it snugly. Mine is loose enough when I can remove it after brewing for easy cleaning.

I use a few feet of silicone tubing. It's more expensive but it's perfect for hot liquids and can be boiled to sanitize if you need to use it post-boil.

Okay, finished mine and attached to a 1/2" MIP bazooka screen and used a 1/2" x 3/8" pipe reducing coupler (Watts A-815) as suggested by others. I couldn't find a SS fender washer either so I went to Ace hardware and got a 5/8" nylon one for the inside. I also used a 5/8" rubber grommet instead of a O-ring.

I went out and bought the items tonight and spent 62 dollars at both big-box stores. Had to go to Ace for the 5/8" washers and they didn't have them, so I picked up 4 16mm ones which are ever so slightly off size. We'll see if they cause leaks, and if not, I'll post back. I remember seeing 16mm at HD and Lowes, but wasn't desperate at that point. HD has the coolers for 42.97 near my house.

my LHBS has this setup with a SS false bottom $110 I believe.
I can't recall what home depot was selling the coolers for, I want to say $45 and the false bottoms at the LHBS were like ~$40.

I can't recall what home depot was selling the coolers for, I want to say $45 and the false bottoms at the LHBS were like ~$40.

Look up 1 post, :) was just at HD last night, they're 42.97, here is the link, you can type in your zip code and it'll update to local priced.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-outdoor-living-outdoor-appliances-entertaining-picnic-coolers/10-gallon-water-cooler-jug-149743.html

DarkPhyre said:

False bottoms for these are infamously sucky. The cooler flexes around substantially after you use it, and the bottoms won't fit properly

Back