Yeast from my favorite Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champurrado

Reaction score
Brewery was generous enough to give me a pint of yeast from the fermenter. I brought along a sanitized mason jar. It's in the fridge now. I plan on making a starter in a few days for a brew on July 3rd. This will be an all grain starter - I made one with DME last time and didn't like the result.

Anyone else make starter's from brewery's yeast?

If you have a whole pint of thick yeast slurry, and It's only sitting around for a week, you probably won't need a starter. Double check Mr Malty's calculator to be sure. You might even want to split that yeast slurry to prevent over pitching.

Ha, that saves me a step, thanks. Do you think it will keep in the fridge for 10 or so days?

Thanks.

Yes, but it will settle out. You'll need to re-warm to room them and give them some time to kick back equilibrate to that temp.

Pitched half the yeast (Saved some for next time) and the carboy is ready to rack into secondary. I'm going to wash the yeast and save it for another batch. I'm a lucky guy!

Yes, but it will settle out. You'll need to re-warm to room them and give them some time to kick back equilibrate to that temp.

Don't rewarm the yeast before pitching & a pint of slurry is way more than you need for a single batch of beer. Overpitching results in bland beers, so run the numbers with Mr. Malty to see how much you really need to pitch.

Also, here is some info cold pitching:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/cold-pitching-good-read-176587/

Back