Uncrushed grains left outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
So I have a collection of uncrushed grains that I left outside in sealed containers (within another sealed container) but it still was exposed to some extreme temperatures. 95 degrees on a few days. They have been out there for a few weeks.

Are they still any good to use? Thinking of brewing with them but not sure.

Thanks!

I have a chart here for the storage times of malted/malting barley and it states that at 80 degrees it will keep for 230 days, the scale stops at 80 though and not 90 degrees.

.80 degrees for 230 days, 70 degrees is 560 days, and anything lower than 60 degrees F is 700 days, which is the maximum storage time recommended at any tempurature and humidity.

So at 90? If I were a gambling man and you didnt store it out there for more than 3 months I'd say they were ok. But sooner you use em the better.

¤edit¤
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7958/maltstorage.jpg

The % line is moisture content of the grain, but if they were in sealed containers you should be golden.

Don't see why they would be anything other than fine when kept for a short-ish amount of time and dry.

Enjoy

Back