Boston, MA....beer hell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHDNSD

Reaction score
Ok, so I know you guys up here in N.E. have things figured out, but since I come from IdeeHo, I can not figure out how you're buying beer. It's not for sale at conv. stores? Wow. So I'm at the Holiday Inn in Tewksbury and I'm here all week. So far I've dropped a c-note on a cab ride from the airport to the hotel.
Plus another c on dinner and drinks. $6 for a pint of harpoon seems excessive.
HELP me.
I'm in school Mon-Fri and I fly out on Sat. at 5 pm. Any help appreciated. Especially if it involves a ride to someplace to buy beer / wine.
I know there are some guys around the area. Any pointers?
(yeah, I got the "Go back to Idaho" comments) Anything a little more useful?
Thanks in advance.
Any serious offers and I'll get you the phone# for my cell or hotel.

Cheers.

p.s. I wish I had more time and freedom to check out the area 'cause so far, it seems really cool.

There is a package store 1.5 miles down the street from you called Barron's Country Store. I've never actually been inside so I don't know what the selection is like.

So where you're staying in Tewksbury is a dead zone for beer. I work right by your hotel and am 90% sure there's no decent beer stores. I'd help you out but I'm not in that office this week.

That being said, I'm sure someone form Lowell can chime in and let you in on some bars that have some good beer on tap. If not post in the New England on beeradvocate asking for decent beer bars and stores in the Lowell area.

Are you taking a course at UMASS?

There is a package store 1.5 miles down the street from you called Barron's Country Store. I've never actually been inside so I don't know what the selection is like.

We walked there last night. Not much selection. Picked up a 12 pack of Harpoon IPA and stopped today and got a 6er of Harpoon Celtic ale. An Irish red, so that's something.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it greatly.

Are you taking a course at UMASS?

No, I'm doing a week long training class at the HP site in Andover. The hotel shuttles us back and forth. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a rental car and be able to move around a bit.

This rain is making things interesting. Hope everyone is safe. And dry.:mug:

well, welcome to Bahstahn.

i hope you have a good time finding some more. theres a brewpub or two over in the Salem/Gloucester area, i think. google em when you get the car. if i were closer i'd pick your brain about hpux.

No, I'm doing a week long training class at the HP site in Andover. The hotel shuttles us back and forth. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a rental car and be able to move around a bit.

This rain is making things interesting. Hope everyone is safe. And dry.:mug:

time to tip the driver and have him make a pitstop!

maybe it's time to check out the 'concierge service' at the hotel! (ha, if you want a $20 6pack)

I moved here from Dallas and was also surprised to see no beer being sold in grocery stores or gas stations. :confused:

But if you make it into Andover, go to Andover Liquors at 209 North main st. (near the intersection of 28 and 133). They have a pretty good selection of beer. Here is the website, although it looks like it focuses on wine, they still have a large beer selection: http://www.andoverliquors.com/

down the street on rt 38 about two miles away from the highway is a package store/ liquer store on the right with a excellent selection. Also get a ride to downtown lowell about 5 miles there is a mirco brewery mostly college kids thou. Also around downtown lowell is quite a few bars resturants and a irish pub on market street.

the next day go to the waffle house on rt 38 about 1/4 mile from the higway on the leftside of rt 38, my nephew's best friend runs it and it has friendly service and good food.

There is a brewry in Manchester NH and merrimack NH has a budwieser plant with tours. Also in Nashu Nh is a Homebrew store that sells IPAs and other microbrewery beers

I managed get into Lowell on Wed. night. Went to Lowell Beer Works.
Met a couple of locals and we chatted with them over a couple of beers.
We got into Boston last night and stayed in Beacon Hill. Found a bottle shop and took some pics. Bought a Brew Dog bomber and then broke it on the bathroom floor in the hotel trying to open it.
Did the Harpoon tour today and am now sitting in the airport at teh Harpoon outlet waiting for our flight.
Maybe I'll make it out here another time when I have more free time and can really enjoy.

Mad props to you Massholes. Everyone we have met has been very friendly and answer the stupid questions a tourist would have.
Thanks.:mug:

Back