Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winter999

Reaction score
My last batch (Heather Ale) came out tasty, but had a carbonation issue. My friends thought the beer seemed rather flat, so I pushed the CO2 up about 3 psi. Next time the beer didn't seem any more carbonated, but the head was excessive.

What gives? Does the brew influence the the bubble making process? How can I make my bubbly a little more bubbly?

Vital Statistics:

Temp 40 deg. F.
Original Pressure 15 psi
Experiment Pressure 18 psi

:mug:

1st question: your friends thought it was flat. However, you didn't describe the beer. Did it have any head? Was the head persistent? Looking into the glass could you see bubbles (indicative of degassing)? Have you ever had problems with getting your beer to carbante before? Did you force carb or prime? Describe yoru carb process.

What about the glassware. Was is clean or 'beer clean'? Any soap residue on a glass can cause issues. Rinsing a glass throughly wth clean water after washing (especially in a dishwasher that uses an 'anti-spotting' agent) is key to ensuring there is no soap residue affecting your brew.

Back