Bottled the double chocolate oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
As the title says I bottled the chocolate oatmeal today. I ended up with only 46 bottles due to having some oily blobs floating on top of the beer. I siphoned under it and left quite a bit of beer in the carboy. I am sure the oil was due to me using the wrong chocolate ( I used hersheys cocoa powder which has 1/2 gram of fat per serving and I think the oil was the fat) Hopefully through two rackings I got all of it out. Now has anyone ever made ths recipe ( cheshrecats) I know I spelled that wrong probably.......Anyway has anyone put this over orange peel for a week prior to bottling? I tasted it and for some reason it seemed like a hint of orange would set it off.

I am brewing this on Black Friday but I am using a brand of cocoa that has 0.00 fat/gram.

Brew it again and add the orange peel and let us know. I bet though, you will be satisfied with what comes out after it has bottle conditioned. :D

I brewed this a couple of months ago and just cracked open my first bottle this past weekend. It is a great recipe. I used the Hershey's Cocoa and had great results.

My dad was here when I bottled it ( He wanted to see how I did everything as he has been enjoying the free beer lol) Anyway he tasted the half bottle I had extra and he got a funny " that tastes like crap" look on his face then he got a little grin ..then he said " DAMN, WHEN THAT AIN'T FLAT IT IS GONNA BE GOOD" .... I think it is gonna be good as is, but the idea of the orange peel intrigued me.

I've just kegged my try at his recipe. It tased pretty great going into the keg. Orange peel..... Hmmmmm that might be good or it might be a bomb. I'd say give it a try. That could come out super tasty.

I had a few bottles of this in the trunk of the car in anticipation of a beer swap that didn't materialize...They were COOOLD so I thought why not....I was determined to wait until right before christmas to chill em but I did pop one open last night and it is still uncarbed as I was anticipating but it is WAY better than I expected......to be honest I brewed this because my daughter in law asked me to.. now I wish I had made more.

it's over there
<--------------------

And I"m glad you liked it, Steve. Mine were drinkable right from the time they carbed so I'm not surprised they were good to go. They'll get better still, though.

Back