Cold finish to Mr Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a member's post on a way to improve on the finished product with Mr Beer. Has anyone tried using this process below with any success? He recommeded having the wort ferment at 63-68 F for 3 weeks and then place the fermentor in the fridge for a week. I am interested in trying this but my fermenting temp has been 70 F or slightly higher during its time in the basement. I already use a bottling bucket and use UHME instead of booster. I still have a few Mr Beer kits left over that I want to experiment with.

Original Post:
"guys, if i can make a suggestion. before bottling, if you have room in your fridge, stick the whole fermenter in the fridge for a week, after it has been sitting for three @ 63-68*. it really makes a difference."

Thanks...

Mick

mick, i think this would be the equivalent of 'cold crashing' the beer to drop yeast/proteins out of suspension thereby clearing the beer. this would also be a week of 'lagering' the beer, which might help certain styles attain a crisper, smoother feel. i'm not sure how successful people are with cold crashing and then bottling, but i'm sure it will leave enough yeast to carbonate...

Back