HCl Acid Container And Measurement Dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
If I use muratic acid to correct my pH and Cl- levels, I can dilute my tap water directly with 50% RO water, and add only 2 grams of gypsum to brew down to a 2 SRM beer. Simple and direct.

But just what type of bottle and measurement device do I want? Plastic bottle and plastic pipette? Graduated eye dropper? I need something that can survive an HBT Brewday . :drunk:

What is the best way to store and dispense a fairly strong acid? :confused:

as far as measuring devices: for anything 1 to 20 mL i would tell you to use a volumetric flask, brew shops may have certain volumes but you can easily get them off lab supply websites. A graduated pipette with a bulb so you can suck the liquid up is another route, graduated eye droppers will be somewhat inaccurate, the measurements on those and beakers are really just for rough amounts. Keep everything glass.

Yeah, my preference is glass, but it's the remote brewdays that have me worried-apparently pre-ammeding my water is the safest bet for traveling brewdays. :/

I will be only looking at lab sites for the equipment, but I wasn't sure I knew of all the possible types.

The local brewery uses long volumetric cylinders, but I don't brew 30 bbls. :(

There are several gents in my HBC that travel to brew with each other all the time. Get yourself a Good sized portable tool back and use rubber foam and styrafoam to cut out the shapes for all of you glass item. They fit snug, you feel comfortable, life is good.

Traveling itself is the least of worries-it's the getting sh!tfaced that always causes all the problems. :D

I think a glass pipet would be your best bet, chemical resistance and very accurate. And if you are traveling to brew, dilute the HCl 10:1 in some tap water and put it a glass jar or bottle to take with you.

Do you have a source for food grade HCl?

I think a glass pipet would be your best bet, chemical resistance and very accurate. And if you are traveling to brew, dilute the HCl 10:1 in some tap water and put it a glass jar or bottle to take with you.

Do you have a source for food grade HCl?

No.

I would store it in a locked box if you have any kids around. That stuff will eat through anything, including skin in about 20 seconds. It is wicked.

Cynmar is a good lab supply site with what I perceive to be good prices.

10:1 dilutions and whether or not it will eat through you in 20 seconds depends purely on the molar concentration of what you buy...look into it before you purchase.

Back