side-of-the-road wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troybinso

Reaction score
I live in Walla Walla, WA, where the wheat grows aplenty. I thought I might "acquire" some wheat from some local farms to throw in my first hefe batch. Give it some local flavor. What do I need to do to it to prepare it for a mash? It is pretty close to harvest time around here, so I am thinking I just cut a couple of pounds, mill it up a little bit and mash. Also, could I do the same thing with rye?

Field grains are not malted and so are not ready for mashing. Malting is a germinating process. Some grains can be cooked (corn for example) and utilized, but rye and wheat need to be processed.

Brewpastor said:
Field grains are not malted and so are not ready for mashing. Malting is a germinating process. Some grains can be cooked (corn for example) and utilized, but rye and wheat need to be processed.

I like Troy's idea of using local grain for his brew. Just out of curiosity, what would it take to malt a couple of pounds of wheat? A large basin filled with water and an oven? Has anyone attempted this?
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
I like Troy's idea of using local grain for his brew. Just out of curiosity, what would it take to malt a couple of pounds of wheat? A large basin filled with water and an oven? Has anyone attempted this?
Jeff

Step 1: Consult Google.

Back