Am I weird?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
I actually ejoyed bottling. Last night was my first attempt at bottling a batch. I learned 2 things...
1.) My diswasher takes FOREVER (1.5 hrous) to do a light wash (without soap of course) - I had some downtime while waiting for it... :drunk:
2.) I REALLY need an Auto-siphon. I ended up losing about a gallon of my first batch to the siphon losing suck. I didnt want to suck up a ton of the yeast stuff on the bottom, and I would accidently pull it up out of the beer just a touch, just enough to lose syphon. And I must have done 5 shots of vodka to clean out my mouth to suck on the hose.

But once the syphoning was done, and I was done waiting on the dishwasher, the process of bottling (thanks to tips I read here on HBT) was super simple.

I used the bottling wand attached to 2" of hose right off the bucket. It sat right above my dishwasher door creating a self cleaning drip-tray. So I only ended up with about 40 bottles thanks to losing the beer in the primary, not too shabby for a total of about 5 hours of work (Brewing and bottling).

Thanks again to all members on HBT where I get so much knowledge! :mug:

I didn't think it was so bad either. But you might want to get a little more tubing, 2 inches (") is pretty short :drunk:;)

EDIT: I have now seen other pictures where it seems they are using 2" of tubing, so if it really is I apologize. I have about 2' and I like the extra flexibility to move around a little.

I actually ejoyed bottling. Last night was my first attempt at bottling a batch. I learned 2 things...
1.) My diswasher takes FOREVER (1.5 hrous) to do a light wash (without soap of course) - I had some downtime while waiting for it... :drunk:
2.) I REALLY need an Auto-siphon. I ended up losing about a gallon of my first batch to the siphon losing suck. I didnt want to suck up a ton of the yeast stuff on the bottom, and I would accidently pull it up out of the beer just a touch, just enough to lose syphon. And I must have done 5 shots of vodka to clean out my mouth to suck on the hose.

But once the syphoning was done, and I was done waiting on the dishwasher, the process of bottling (thanks to tips I read here on HBT) was super simple.

I used the bottling wand attached to 2" of hose right off the bucket. It sat right above my dishwasher door creating a self cleaning drip-tray. So I only ended up with about 40 bottles thanks to losing the beer in the primary, not too shabby for a total of about 5 hours of work (Brewing and bottling).

Thanks again to all members on HBT where I get so much knowledge! :mug:

To answer your question, yes you are wierd but not for the reasons you listed. You're wierd because you're a Sparty fan... :p GO BLUE!!!

All kidding aside, I don't mind bottling all that much either. I do have an auto siphon so I would highly recommend investing in one! I too use my dishwasher for my bottling process and it works great. And I already knew my dishwasher runs forever because my wife and I can homemade spaghettie sause and V8 juice every year so we use the dishwasher to sanitize our mason jars as well. So I knew to plan on waiting a while for my bottles to sanitize which is why I usually load the bottles in the dishwasher the night before and run it first thing in the morning on my bottling days!

Must be a bunch of us, then. I like to bottle, use the dishwasher to clean and bottle on, have the auto-siphon. Now I just need time for my fix - aching to make a new brew but need a bit of time. Maybe next weekend.

to answer your question, yes you are wierd but not for the reasons you listed. You're wierd because you're a sparty fan... :p go blue!!!

All kidding aside, i don't mind bottling all that much either. I do have an auto siphon so i would highly recommend investing in one! I too use my dishwasher for my bottling process and it works great. And i already knew my dishwasher runs forever because my wife and i can homemade spaghettie sause and v8 juice every year so we use the dishwasher to sanitize our mason jars as well. So i knew to plan on waiting a while for my bottles to sanitize which is why i usually load the bottles in the dishwasher the night before and run it first thing in the morning on my bottling days!

go blue!

PS- Your name isn't Matt, or Matty...Is it?

Auto siphons are great, I used it for my first bottle session. But, bottling buckets are even easier, with the bottling wand of course :)
Yes, we are all weird.

Autosiphon is defenitely a must have. IMHO vodka suck is a step below siphoning gasoline. :) If you need to siphon, try filling the tube with sanitizer, hold your thumb over one end, and secure the other at the appropriate level in the source bucket. Then, place the thumb end in the target bucket and let go. Some people spill the sanitizer into a glass, but I never had a problem with 4 OZ of sanitizer in 5 gallons of beer.

I enjoy bottling for a few reasons. Firstly it is the final step in the creation of what should if I've done my part be at least a very drinkable beer. Secondly it's a task that I can do almost automatically which allows time for pondering.....

If you haven't read this thread already. I highly recommend it. Very helpful bottling tips. And the pickup tube idea works very well to get most of your beer into the bottle.

Oh and yes you are weird. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just sayin.

Its funny you mention this one. This is the thread that I got TONS of good info from! I couldnt find it again to give credit, however, thank you for bringing it up so I can.

go blue!

PS- Your name isn't Matt, or Matty...Is it?

Hey Jeff. I am indeed! I just returned your PM over at UMGoBlue.com!

For as vast a place as the interweb can be, **** like this makes it seem kinda small at times too! :mug:

GO BLUE!!!

Back