Root Beer Not Carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I have a root beer that I kegged 3 days again set to 35 psi. It has been sitting for 3 days at this pressure. I have shaken it a couple times but nothing vigorous. I have 10 ft. of 3/16" tubing connected. When I tried the beer today pretty much all that shot out was foam, about 3/4 of the pint glass was foam. Once to foam settled, I tried to soda and it tasted flat....but not 100% flat...but def not as carbed as it should be. Should I be concerned or is it too early to tell? Anyone with experience in this matter?

I have a root beer that I kegged 3 days again set to 35 psi. It has been sitting for 3 days at this pressure. I have shaken it a couple times but nothing vigorous. I have 10 ft. of 3/16" tubing connected. When I tried the beer today pretty much all that shot out was foam, about 3/4 of the pint glass was foam. Once to foam settled, I tried to soda and it tasted flat....but not 100% flat...but def not as carbed as it should be. Should I be concerned or is it too early to tell? Anyone with experience in this matter?

It'll take a bit longer to carb, but it will come.

The issue is going to be trying to serve it at 35 psi with 10 feet of tubing. That will never work. I used 30 feet of tubing for my soda, and it worked perfectly. At 35 psi, soda will come out of 10 feet of tubing like a firehose, with tons of foaming but flat soda because the co2 will be "knocked out" of suspension.

So you think the problem is not that the beer is not carbed but that the short hose is knocking it out of suspension?

So you think the problem is not that the beer is not carbed but that the short hose is knocking it out of suspension?

I think it's both at this point. The soda might take a few more days to be fully carbed, but the short hose is knocking out the co2 besides. You can try purging and serving at a very low pressure just to see what the carb level is, but it may take a week or so to be fully carbed.

Alright sounds good. I will try both. Thanks for the suggestion. How much hose do you suggest I buy?

I got some cheap tubing from McMaster-Carr. It was like $0.15 a foot, so I got 50 feet and used 30 feet of it for the soda. It's pretty rigid, so it coiled right up around the keg. 30 feet was about right for the soda at kegerator temps.

Back