Parti-gyle, Honey Porter / Brown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecallmetim

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 5/10 gal parti. Imperial Honey Porter (inspired by Sacc... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/imperial-honey-porter-78185/ ) & Brown Ale.

According to this...

BT - Parti-Gyle Brewing

I'll end up with about a 50/50 split of the sugars in each beer.

Heres the grain bill, 28 lbs is the max I can fit in my cooler.

21 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %

For the Porter I'll add 2lbs Honey at flameout, figuring 37% eff (half my 75) I get an OG of 1.088. I've got a cake of US-05 to pitch on.

Hop Scedule...

1.00 oz Nugget [14.60 %] (60 min) Hops 41.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU

70.6 ibu

About the honey malt, I've not used it yet, Is 1lb too much? I have cry 40 & 60 on hand, or I could toast some pale. I also have some Chocolate Rye that I could use in addition/instead to the Carafa...

The Brown Ale should clock in at about 1.038, mild territory really, but I need something hoppy on tap. How's this...
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU

Only 19.4 IBU, but can I go further & still have a tasty brew?

Mash Temp - 152 sound right?

Anyhow I just want to check my logic on this, The HIP will be the biggest beer I've yet to brew & while I'm not worried about brewing the brown to style, I want something worth drinking...

Party-gyles are fun. I've done a couple now. I still have issues getting the recipes right. Last time I ended up blending wort from the two runnings to get the OGs correct.

For the second one, the OG vs IBU looks quite balanced. If you want it slightly hoppy try 22 or so IBUs.

I'm very interested in this partigyle recipe. Since people usually do a barleywine, which I hate, for the first runnings I would love to have the 2 beers you have planned. Please check back and and let us (me) know how it goes. I'm sure I'll follow closely behind.

We're going to brew it the 20th.

I'm really thinking that I want to tweak the grain bill, I'm thinking the chocolate rye would be really tasty in this, & 1lb of honey malt is too much. Its hard to judge how much flavor/color is going to come out in the first beer...

My last 4 brew days have been partigyles, and I've figured out a few things that might be useful. I've been doing two 5 gallon batches.

Figuring out the relative sparge volumes has been key to hitting my OGs (I batch sparge). Since I've been doing 3 sparges, my efficiency has also gone up.

I've also been "capping" the second beer, which is just adding some additional specialty grains to keep it from being too thin. For your Brown Ale, 1/2# each of Honey Malt & Carafa might not be enough for 10 gallons.

Also, you can do partigyle with all sorts of big/little beers. I've done:
Barleywine/Bitter
Wee Heavy/Scottish 80
Golden Strong/Helles (50/50 split of sugars)
Dark Strong/Weak Light (not a real style, but quite tasty)

I've got an IIPA/APA planned, and am planning for future partigyle combos.

Was running thru barleywine recipes and this thread came up in the thread for the imperial porter I had planned for this month but now on backburner until mid next month. How did this turn out? I think it would be fun to do a parti-gyle and was looking at doing one this winter but with this I would be able to do both now

Back