lazy or practical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papinquack

Reaction score
I made two gallons of strawberry wine on Nov. 1st. I mashed 7 lbs. of strawberries into the primary. The straining bag burst during the last 2lbs releasing about two cups of mashed berries; I mashed the rest making sure no more particulates got out of the straining bag. I then strained out all the big particulates from primary and proceded to add all other ingredients with the exception of the straining bag. I pitched my yeast 24 hours later. The recipe talks about multiple transfers I'm not sure I need, or want to do.
The active fermentation has slowed, it is still covered with a towel. I'm wondering if I could keep the wine in the same primary just Put a lid with an air lock on it for 30 days, then rack to glass secondary and let it sit for another 30 days? I followed this method with my first batch of Yooperbrews welches grape concentrate wine and it worked out great. Any thoughts?

I made two gallons of strawberry wine on Nov. 1st. I mashed 7 lbs. of strawberries into the primary. The straining bag burst during the last 2lbs releasing about two cups of mashed berries; I mashed the rest making sure no more particulates got out of the straining bag. I then strained out all the big particulates from primary and proceded to add all other ingredients with the exception of the straining bag. I pitched my yeast 24 hours later. The recipe talks about multiple transfers I'm not sure I need, or want to do.
The active fermentation has slowed, it is still covered with a towel. I'm wondering if I could keep the wine in the same primary just Put a lid with an air lock on it for 30 days, then rack to glass secondary and let it sit for another 30 days? I followed this method with my first batch of Yooperbrews welches grape concentrate wine and it worked out great. Any thoughts?

With fruit wines, you tend to get a lot of lees, so you really do need to rack it when you get lees 1/4 inch thick or so. Otherwise, the strawberries will start to rot and ruin the wine. If the active fermentation has slowed, it should be airlocked. I always rack fruit wines after about 5-7 days, then put the airlock on, and rack again in 30 days. You may need to do it once or twice more, depending on how much lees still drops after that, and how well it clears. It sounds like a bit of a pain, but it's really not bad at all.

Latest posts

Back