Moving apfelwein to a different carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Greetings! I started a batch of apfelwein a week ago in one of my 6 gallon Better Bottles because my 5g glass carboy was in use lagering my Oktoberfest.

I recently got some kegs and transferred the Oktoberfest into a keg. I'd like to be able to use the Better Bottle to brew some more beer. Any problem with racking the apfelwein into the glass carboy now? Should I swirl it first to get all the goodness at the bottom back into suspension and rack that off with it? Or just wait 3-4 more weeks before I can brew again?

Thanks!

-Joe

If fermemtation is done I wouldnt think it is a problem. Just check the gravity to make sure

Yeah just wait. It really does need all that time to finish up the last few points.

Yeah just wait. It really does need all that time to finish up the last few points.
I know, which is why I was wondering if I could transfer the trub and everything over to the glass carboy. That way it could still finish fermenting properly, and I'd get my BB back.

I'm not trying to get it off the yeast to clear or anything like that. Just want to switch fermenting vessels.

-Joe

I've never seen EdWort Steer anyone wrong before! Having said that: really....what's it going to hurt? If it's 1 week in it's still going pretty strong, and aeration won't be an issue....why not?
If you kill a batch of apfelwein...you'll be sorry....but on the other hand, If it works......

Maybe you otta just wait.

If it's 1 week in it's still going pretty strong, and aeration won't be an issue....why not?
Well, that's sort of what I was wondering. Is aeration an issue with apfelwein/wine, or is that a beer-specific malady? And if aeration isn't an issue, what problems could transferring to another carboy bring?

I can wait if necessary, but if there's no reason to, I'd like to brew some beer!

And it stopped going strong after just a couple of days. I've got very little airlock activity. My last batch bubbled constantly for almost 4 solid weeks, but it was a different yeast. Last time was Lalvin 71B-1122, this time was Montrachet.

And I must say, the Lalvin smelled nice while fermenting. The Montrachet? Rhino farts.

-Joe

Be clear....Aeration will ruin any brew. As long as the ferment is going strong, the yeast will consume any o2 that gets in your must, or wort....but if it's slowed enough, you sure could get some aeration.

I guess if it were me, I'd rack it just for the experience....then I'd be able to say for sure if it's ok to do or not...if I were you...maybe I'd just leave it alone for a few weeks....perhaps go looking for another carboy / better bottle.

Back