Is it too late to get rhizomes and plant in Kentucky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjdetwiler

Reaction score
Am I too late to get hops and plant them. Here in Kentucky everything is getting put in the ground late. If it is not too late, where can I get them? Specifically cascade and liberty or mt. hood. Beer and Wine Hobby, The Beer Essentials , Midwest Homebrewing, and Freshops are out or they dont list these types.

I don't think you'll have any luck finding rhizomes this late in the season. Most are sold out in March, sometimes available in April.

if you're in northern ky you could drive up to dayton and buy your rhizomes at belmont party supply. i was there yesterday and they still have a bunch of rhizomes in the back cooler. Not sure what varieties but you could call and ask. http://schwartzbeer.com/

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and got some different types from freshops. I really couldnt beat their price. Now I just hope this weekend isnt too late to get them in the ground. Thanks again!

I just planted mine in Colorado last night. Don't expect a yield this year but still fun to grow stuff..

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and got some different types from freshops. I really couldnt beat their price. Now I just hope this weekend isnt too late to get them in the ground. Thanks again!

You should be fine. As long as they develop into a full plant all is good. They will go through the process of dormancy once they get frost and in the Spring you should have good growth. Iirc, my Brewer's Gold went into the ground very late last year, I think it was early summer. They didn't do much, but this season were up and running as soon as the thaw hit.

I put mine in over in Lexington about a month and a half ago and they are just now starting to really grow. Of course you know the weather we've had here in KY this spring, lots of cool temps and not much sun. You should be fine.

I put mine in over in Lexington about a month and a half ago and they are just now starting to really grow. Of course you know the weather we've had here in KY this spring, lots of cool temps and not much sun. You should be fine.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking.:mug: Many of the farmers I know have just recently planted, or are just starting. It has been a odd weather year.

Back