Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch this past sunday. I took a hydrometer reading and the O.G. read 1.042. Does this reading sound right?

+1 on needing the recipe! Also, it is important to know what temperature you took your gravity reading at. Most hydrometers are calibrated to 60F or 68F, and you need to convert your gravity reading if it was not taken at this temperature.

3.3lbs LME 90min.
3.3lbs AME 90min.
1/2 oz. Chinook 90min.
1/2 oz. Glacier 90min.
1/4 oz. U.K. Kent Goldings 15min.
1/2 oz. Willamette 5min.
1/2 oz. U.K. Kent Goldings 5min.
1/2 oz. Glacier 5min.

I took the hydrometer reading at 60F.

With BeerSmith, I get these numbers:

5 Gallon Batch: 1.047
5.5 Gallon Batch: 1.043

Sounds like you're in the ballpark, should come out to around 4-4.5% ABV.

Revvy,
I recently brewed a Rogue Dead Guy clone. I purchased the kit that was designed by the Rogue brewmaster. Did you use the same kit?

My dead guy clone came out ok. But I think it's missing some of the malt character that the real one has. It also came out with a high alcohol content which I like.

I think Yooper's is great. I'd stack it head to head with the original anyday.

I'm planning on brewing it again soon, now that I have harvested a bunch of pacman yeast. I'll probably do it as my next batch as soon as on of my fermenters becomes free. By then this batch will probably be coming to an end, at the rate I've been drinking it.

Revvy,
I just looked at the Dead Guy clone recipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but is the entire boil time for this recipe 100 minutes.

Revvy,
I just looked at the Dead Guy clone recipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but is the entire boil time for this recipe 100 minutes.

Nope, it is a 60 minute boil.

When the 60 minute boil first starts you put in 1 oz of perle, with 30 min left of that boil you put in 1/4 oz perle, with 5 minutes left you put in 1/4 oz perle and saaz. After that last 5 minutes you remove from heat and cool to the temp where you pitch your yeast.

I brewed this past weekend and I boiled 3.3lbs LME and 3.3lbs AME, 1/2oz. chinook and 1/2oz. glacier hops for 60 min. then I added 1/4oz. of U.K. Kent Goldings and boiled for 15 min. then I added 1/2oz. willamette, U.K. Kent Goldings, and glacier and boiled for 5 min. what do you think this beer is going to be like?

Should be tastey!!! My guess is if it was a kit it was designed for a 60 minute boil (similar to the way I listed the hop schedule above). But the way you did it should be fine. It will probably be slightly more bitter because the hops were boiled longer, but I don't think it will be overly so, and it should come out great. :ban::mug:

I just had a rogue deadguy, and now I'm drinking my version of Yooper's clone...and I fairly believe that mine is better! I think partially because mine is fresher, but still. Yum!!!

Nothing beats your own brew! Especially when it tastes better than the original!

Back