Wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just built my wort chiller and it came out really nice! I noticed that when I was done my hands had that strong metallic smell on them..

So since I don't want that taste in my finished beer, do I have to boil it in water before I use it? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm assuming it was a copper immersion chiller, right? I'd make sure to use some sort of degreaser to get it clean, then triple rinse it to get it all off. I can't say for 100% certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a light lubricant on the roll of copper from when the wound it up and packaged it.

I'm assuming it was a copper immersion chiller, right? I'd make sure to use some sort of degreaser to get it clean, then triple rinse it to get it all off. I can't say for 100% certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a light lubricant on the roll of copper from when the wound it up and packaged it.

Yea it was a copper one haha problem is, it's brew day and I started late haha

Even just washing it with some dish soap in a bucket would work. I wouldn't want to risk a whole batch tasting metallic for something that would take 3 minutes to soak in some soap and the spray off a couple of times with a hose. You're beer though ;)

Even just washing it with some dish soap in a bucket would work. I wouldn't want to risk a whole batch tasting metallic for something that would take 3 minutes to soak in some soap and the spray off a couple of times with a hose. You're beer though ;)

Alright I'll definitely do that! Thanks!

Back