Third-y-ary Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmd

Reaction score
ok, stupid title. But here's my question...

After primary fermentation, I racked some wheat beer over about 3 pounds of wild blueberries. I plan on letting that stay put for 14 days total. After that, would there be any advantage to racking the beer off the berries into a third carboy and letting it condition for another couple weeks before I bottle? Or should I just go to the bottle? I have no problem waiting, I had planned on a third fermentor, but would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I made some huckleberry hefeweizen in a similar fashion and I did no tertiary fermentation. I'm not sure the berries would ever really settle out of the beer anyway. My beer sat in secondary for three weeks and when I racked to my bottling bucket there were berries floating on top, berries at the bottom, and berries in suspension. I bought a SS screen to put over my racking cane to make sure no chunks got through.

AHU

I know what you mean, but the fewer chunks the better. Chunks scare some people off.

I have a peach melomel that's been in the secondary for a month or 2 and it still has floaters. The gravity is at 0.998!

I should bottle that sucker soon.:D

Back