Wild Raisin wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbucket

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good Wild Raisin wine recipe?

Also when you usually pick them - do you wait for the whole bunch to become ripe or pick only ripe ones from the bunch?

wild-raisin-wine3.jpg

Do some research on that fruit. The leaves don't look like any wild grapes from here in the east.

If they are in fact, grapes...pick the ripe ones and freeze, otherwise the birds will get them. I use a cool whip container and just keep adding until I have enough.

This looks like Virginia Creeper. If so, then the berries are poisonous to humans.

Not even close to Virginia Creeper, but it does remind me of Aronia or Chokeberries. If so then I would love to hear how it turns out. Distillery Lane Ciderworks is planning to have an Aronia cider next year so I'd love to hear what you use?

Take a sample to your county extension agent for positive ID, it's free. If you don't know for certain exactly what it is, I wouldn't eat it or make wine from it. It does look a lot like Virginia Creeper, which is HIGHLY TOXIC TO HUMANS. Do yourself a favour & consult a pro.
Regards, GF.

brewbucket, did you ever try out a recipe with wild raisin? We've got lots around here also.. we did chokecherry wine last year, but I'd like to see if wild raisin would work without grape concentrate.
please send along a link or your recipe if it worked out!
Thank you
P.S. other posters Wild raisin: Viburnum nudum var. cassinoides, pretty tasty edible berry, not easily confused when up close and personal.

Does anyone have a good Wild Raisin wine recipe?

Also when you usually pick them - do you wait for the whole bunch to become ripe or pick only ripe ones from the bunch?

wild-raisin-wine3.jpg

Back