Tropical Mead Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruin7734

Reaction score
Ingredients so far:

16 lbs Tropical Blossom Honey
10 lbs Champagne Mangos
Enough Fresh coconut water to fill 5 gal. (from young coconuts)

Any thoughts as to which yeast I should use? My goal is a high ABV, semi-sweet melomel. Also what nutrients I should use of any, and possibly any other additions that would make this spectacular. Thanks in advance.

Lalvin 1116 would probably work well for yeast ... save the mango for secondary then taste test weekly mango can get funky flavored if it soaks a long time. I made a pineapple/mango/coconut melomel and I went pineapple/mango in secondary and a ton of unsweetened coconut in tertiary, it's one of the most requested that I've made.

Nice, I am also in the process of doing a tropical mead. I am basing mine off of a drink called the painkiller in the virgin islands. I used orange blossom honey and put oranges and pineapple in the secondary, then coconut and last I will put in some nutmeg. I'm excited for this as well.

You know what, there are so many breed of mango and they provide diffent smell and taste also color.
I think I will try it some days from mongoes of the mongo tree at my backyard.:rockin:

Has anyone ever considered putting rum in their tropical mead? Most tropical drinks include rum and I was wandering if anyone has attempted to add this to a tropical mead.

Sounds like you're making a cordial or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know cordials would just be something sweet and a distillate of some kind, but never really knew how a mead blended with a distillate would be classified. Just sounds like a mixed drink, imo.

-----%<----- but never really knew how a mead blended with a distillate would be classified. -----%<-----
How about using the correct ? or at least most well know word for such a mix ?

I vote for "cocktail" :D

p.s. apart from the smart arse comments....... I love the sound of the mix, or even with the extra pineapple that BM suggested. Of course, I wouldn't have much choice of ingredients, just what's on the shelf at the supermarket, but even with what they sell, I reckon I could get something nice going

Lalvin 1116 would probably work well for yeast ... save the mango for secondary then taste test weekly mango can get funky flavored if it soaks a long time. I made a pineapple/mango/coconut melomel and I went pineapple/mango in secondary and a ton of unsweetened coconut in tertiary, it's one of the most requested that I've made.

Hey that sounds delicious. Do you mind posting up a recipe?

I'm still a n00b, but is it ok to put coconut water in brews? I thought that oils / fats would go rancid pretty quickly.

Hey that sounds delicious. Do you mind posting up a recipe?

this was a 4 gallon batch

started by sanitizing everything I thought I would need plus some extra stuff with starsan, including wiping the counters down with it, yeah I have a bit of ocd in that area.

First I made a traditional mead.

Primary
14 pounds of orange blossom honey
spring water up to 4 gallons
lalvin D47, 2 packets, rehydrated in 1 cup of 104*F water with 2 tsp honey and 2g of nutrient blend.

Secondary

4 pounds of pineapple
2 pounds of mango

Tertiary
6 Pounds shredded coconut
4 madagascar vanilla beans

Aging
Wine tannins (as per package instructions)
2 tsp Acid Blend (just wanted a hint more bite)

No heat method, room temp water, honey in a large stainless steel pot, add a gallon of water, first part of nutrients and wisked the crap out of it to blend well and start some aeration

added must to fermenter, topped off with remainder of water, shook to make sure it was nicely incorporated.

took gravity reading 1.126

pitched yeast after 15 minutes of rehydrating, shook to mix again

I use a ss airstone and medical grade oxygen at this point, on 0.5 l/min let it go til the foam reaches the neck of the fermenter, let it settle for a couple minutes (I do this while cleaning everything else up) I give it about a half dozen shots of O2. If you dont have o2 available, shake the he!! out of it for a good 10 minutes, incorporate as much oxygen into it as you can.

Air locked and by morning it was churning nicely (rarely have more than 8-12 hours of lag time)

aerated by agitating (shaking the fermenter back and forth like a washing machine) 3 times a day and adding O2 with the sanitized airstone once a day.

at around a G of 1.105 I added the second third of the nutrients, mixed with a 1/2 cup of boiled and cooled water, aerated the must first to avoid eruptions, slowly poured in the nutrient slurry, then added oxygen after to help mix it in some, I know the yeast would find it, just another ocd thing.

Continued the aeration/oxygenation schedule until hit a G of 1.084-1.085, followed same procedure as above to add the final dose of nutrients and oxygen, then just let her be for awhile, when it hit a FG of about 1.012 it had finished, checked it 4 times over about 10 days due to my work schedule, it didn't budge and I was happy with that.

I dusted with pectic enzyme and then added 4 pounds of super ripe fresh pineapple and 2 pounds of ripe fresh mango to secondary and racked the mead ontop of it, airlocked it and let it sit for about 4 weeks, it was kind of funny because some fruit dropped and rose again, think it found some residual yeasts still alive and the additional sugar gave a small burst of last stand type fermentation. Finally a bunch of the fruit had dropped and stayed at the bottom.

I then got 6 pounds of unsweetened organic shredded coconut, added it to a clean (and obviously sanitized) carboy, racked off the pineapple/mango onto the coconut, and for the hell of it because I had some I wanted to use 4 madagascar vanilla beans split only, had about a half gallon that wouldn't fit that went into a sanitized 2 liter bottle and into the back of the fridge, came in handy later for topping up. Airlocked and Let it sit on the coconut for 3 weeks, most dropped out.

I then racked it back into the 4 gallon fermenter and used the fridge stuff to top up to prevent too much head space, I also added a small amount of wine tannin and acid blend as for my tastes it needed to be brightened up a little and the additional sweetness from the fruit needed something to balance it.

Then just let it sit, airlocked to clear (the pectic enzyme and tannins make that go better) bottled and into the basement it went.

from primary through aging it was kept in a room at 62-64*F

Next time, and this is just for my own personal taste I will probably up the pineapple to at least 6 pounds and leave the mango at 2 just as a complimentary flavor.

Take it, use it, tweak it to your own style, enjoy some tropical melomel

Coconut water is great stuff, but it spoils really fast. I expect this might cause you some issues. Living in the tropics I chop coconuts for the water & meat often. If it is not refrigerated then it will start to go bad in hours. Refrigerated will last for a few days, but not much longer. This is water of course right from the coconut, but if you buy commercial coconut water it might have some preservatives in it that could help a bit.

BTW: Coconut water and rum is a 100% natural and delicious cocktail...this is usually why I chop coconuts just in time for cocktail hour!

Coconut water is great stuff, but it spoils really fast. I expect this might cause you some issues.

I've never worked with fresh before, do you think if it went into something that started fermenting at a low temp pretty quick it might be ok? or if it was added into secondary with a decent alcohol content maybe it'll prevent the spoilage?

I'll just keep using the flesh, so far it's made some amazing tasting stuff lol

I'll be starting a test batch soon, I hope I don't get spoiled mead, but to be honest, as long as we maintain a CO2-rich atmosphere, it shouldn't oxidize or go rancid. To be honest, juice is juice, fruits contain electrolytes, nutrients, and proteins for the development of seeds.

I've never worked with fresh before, do you think if it went into something that started fermenting at a low temp pretty quick it might be ok? or if it was added into secondary with a decent alcohol content maybe it'll prevent the spoilage?

I'll just keep using the flesh, so far it's made some amazing tasting stuff lol

Low temp would help, but ultimately, once it is exposed to air it goes bad fast -- even if it is refrigerated. Low temps and a layer of CO2 might help, but I would be skeptical. Again, the commercial stuff probably has preservatives in it which would also help.

Using the flesh I expect is much less likely to cause you issues and yield the same or more pronounced flavor (nice fresh coconut water has a very delicate flavor). I would use a "Thai" (green) variety of coconut -- the meat is much softer and should be easier to work with and I expect yield more flavor.

Has anyone ever considered putting rum in their tropical mead?
I have. And I won't again.
But be sure to use a dry rum, cause stuff like Malibu has a ton of sugar that will re-start fermentation and blow corks all over the place.

But I agree. This is more of a bottled cocktail than a mead. Good as it is, I like the versatility of mixing in the glass rather than at bottling.
I'm not a purist by any means, but I like to keep my mead for what it is!

Keep us posted--I'm curious how using coconut water for most of the liquid will ferment...

Has anyone ever considered putting rum in their tropical mead? Most tropical drinks include rum and I was wandering if anyone has attempted to add this to a tropical mead.
I was when I did mine--unfortionately it didn't turn out well enough for me to bother.

Sounds like you're making a cordial or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know cordials would just be something sweet and a distillate of some kind, but never really knew how a mead blended with a distillate would be classified. Just sounds like a mixed drink, imo.
Fortified Mead?

Seconded. Why did you go with those yeast choices in yours?

I'm still a n00b, but is it ok to put coconut water in brews? I thought that oils / fats would go rancid pretty quickly.
I didn't have any problem with mine, but I didn't have all that much though.

Back