Keg Post Question (Easy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
What type of tool do I need to remove this keg post?

Keg post by Glamisduner, on Flickr

I got this keg from keg connection and it has this weird star thing. I wanted to strip-it down and clean and sanitize and transfer my beer into it in anticipation of getting my Co2 tank next week.

You need a 7/8 inch, 12-point, deep-socket and, of course, a driver to match, which you may already have. Try your local hardware or auto parts store. I found mine at Lowe's.

I've used a 7/8" wrench and it works in a pinch but am going to take up DeafSmith's recommendation - Sounds like a better idea.

Justintoxicated said:
It's star shaped though, looks like it should be some specialty socket?

I know it looks that way, but a twelve point deep socket fits perfectly.

Grab the deep socket for sure. I have 2 sizes on my various kegs... 7/8 and 11/16.. Bought both sizes for like $3 a pop, and it makes easy work for cleaning and changing out o rings.

Make sure you get the 12 point, in the event that you have the "star" pattern, or not. You could end up getting more kegs in the future that have that fitting, and won't need to buy another socket.

Back