Quick quetion on fermentation devices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deific

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!
I am a few days away from my first brew I have quick question concerning my primary and secondary fermentation devices. They way i am going to have it set up is placing these devices in the cellar of my house, yet i was planning on doing all of the boiling work, siphoning, and bottling in my kitchen which is up a flight of stairs.

i guess my question is that is this going to cause a problem? If in the transportation slight i guess to the word would be sloshing or mixing around when i transport it upstairs.. will this be a problem?

I do understand that the sedement will move about and i wil lhave to let it sit for a while to let it transfer back to the bottom.

THank you for your time! and i appreciate your help

If you can, just siphon in the cellar when going from primary to secondary to bottling bucket/keg. If you transfer it first to the bottle bucket then take up stairs to bottle, you shouldn't even have to worry about the sediment issue. And, i dont think you can slosh it around that much to oxidize it.

so...no i dont think this is a problem

I would recommend that when you transfer to the secondary and when you transfer to the bottling bucket that you do that upstairs. You will kick up seditment by moving the container up/down stairs. It will take days for the sediment to settle out again. Once you transfer to another container - you can move the buckets/carboys around to the room that suits you best.

Cheers - and welcome to the forum !

I would say that if and when you do decide to bottle or keg your brew. Then take your primary or secondary (depends on which you use) up atleast two days prior. Being very careful not to slosh and or aerate the beer. Giving it about 48 hours to settle will help. But then you may have issues with keeping it cool before bottling.

Or, you can transfer to a bottling bucket (complete with priming sugar), and then take it upstairs to bottle. That would be another option and you wouldn't have the issue of taking a primary or secondary upstairs. Even in a bottling bucket you still need to be careful not slosh or aerate your finished beer. Hope this helps, good luck!

Axegod said:
I would recommend that when you transfer to the secondary and when you transfer to the bottling bucket that you do that upstairs. You will kick up seditment by moving the container up/down stairs. It will take days for the sediment to settle out again. Once you transfer to another container - you can move the buckets/carboys around to the room that suits you best.
!

that makes no sense, you may have miss read it. If it is fermenting down stairs in the cellar....then its settles out...you would want to siphon it down stairs in the cellar if possible. That way you dont have to take it upstairs, which would stir up the trub, wait for it to settle, then transfer to the secondary. same situation with the bottling bucket. your last sentence is correct though.:)

the key here is if he has enough room in this cellar of his to set up a siphon.

Yeast Infection said:
that makes no sense, you may have miss read it. If it is fermenting down stairs in the cellar....then its settles out...you would want to siphon it down stairs in the cellar if possible. That way you dont have to take it upstairs, which would stir up the trub, wait for it to settle, then transfer to the secondary. same situation with the bottling bucket. your last sentence is correct though.:)

the key here is if he has enough room in this cellar of his to set up a siphon.

Correct - I mistyped that part...

thanks to everybody who posted.. i appreciate the help.. and look forward to speaking with you on other topics in times to come

I am in a similar situation. I cook upstairs and all my cleaning and storage of bottles, gear, etc happens upstairs. Once cooled, I pitch, and take 'er down. From there, nothing goes back upstairs until it's ready to go into the fridge for consumption. It's a little easier for me because I keg, but I could bottle in the basement just the same.

Downstairs, I lay out clean towels on all the work surfaces (i.e. top of the ice box) and work only on the known clean surfaces (towels). My carbuoys are fermented inside my ice box, so no dust is on the outside of them. While working, I cover all open containers with a towel to prevent airborne dust from settling into them as I rack, siphon, etc. It's probably overly paranoid, but IMHO there's just too much airborne dust, mold, and crap in an unfinished basement to leave a keg or carbuoy open to the air for 10-20 minutes.

While I may not re-climb the stairs, I carefully move my carbuoys about 6-8 ft during each rack, and I'm turning out non-filtered beer that is often as clear as a store bought.

the_Roqk said:
Or, you can transfer to a bottling bucket (complete with priming sugar), and then take it upstairs to bottle.

If you MUST bottle upstairs, Roqk suggested the best compromise.

Back