First SMASH--Vienna and Glacier Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
Did my first smash today. I'm trying to perfect my decoction mashing so I did another one. Took tips from designing great beers, pilsner section and used the vienna lager schedule. For mash out pulled the runnings and boiled with no thick mash.

This brew day was long and hectic. Mash took something like 3 hours or so, I had to go get my kid an hour in the boil so I stopped. Ended up boiling down 9 gallons of wort to 5. We'll see how this turns out. I think it'll be good. The only problem is I may have over did it with the hops. I had 4oz, so I used them all. 1 at 90, .5 at 45, 1 at 15, .75 at 10 and .75 at flameout. Should really get a feel for this hop.

took a sample of this and it's at 1.022 and it tasted like butter. I've put it at room temp and plan on leaving it until I rack to the secondary. I think this beers going to age nicely.

took a sample last night. The butter cleared up, but it finished higher than I thought. It was at 1.019. It doesn't taste sweet though. I'll keep this posted but, I think maybe the fermentation was stuck. It's lagering now, does anyone think it would be bad to put it back up to 65* to see if fermentation starts again?

Back