Rogue Voodoo Bacon Maple Donut Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked one up earlier this year and tried it with some friends. Maple dominated the nose and palate in mine with smoke being very subtle. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't think it was very good either and I love smoke.

I would have to say it's not my cup of tea. You can taste the maple pretty heavily and get a little smokiness that represents the bacon. In the end, I'd never drink it again.

They basically did something gimicky to get people's attention and it sure as hell worked.

I agree with the sentiment that I'm glad I tried it, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'm planning on putting a quick-pour in the bottle and making it my syrup container.

The name makes it sound disgusting. Though I cringe most anytime bacon is listed. It sounds especially horrible though...

The name makes it sound disgusting. Though I cringe most anytime bacon is listed. It sounds especially horrible though...

Anything you say from this point forward will now be discounted and considered false.

"Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Abraham Lincoln

I have had this beer. IMHO it is perfect to split a bomber with a friend that LIKES smoked beer.

I am saving my last bomber of it for "Bac-O-Ween" which is a feast a group I belong to has where EVERYTHING has bacon in it or associated in some way. Last year we ate 20# of just bacon!

Cool bottle and marketing. I thought the beer was drinkable, although too sweet for me. I enjoyed the subtle smokiness, but did not taste much of what the name implies.

ThreeSheetsBrewing said:
I bought two bottles. One I dumped in the drain, the other I marinated a pork shoulder in.

You, sir, are a GENIUS. I now know what beer I'm going to inject into my thanksgiving turkey this year, though pork shoulder would be far better. How did it turn out?

$12. The smell was dead on maple deep fried doughnut, but the taste was just smokey bacon and that is all; thin, lacking in any depth. I could not drink it.....photo for those who have not seen it.

557349_10151098350739265_1022499091_n.jpg

I love bacon. I love bacon maple bars. I love smokey flavors. I respect Rogue.

And that said, I seriously despise this beer! Cloyingly sweet with no dominant flavors.

It is what I imagine prison hooch tastes like!

Hahaha! As a vegetarian its a pet peeve when they just add bacon to an otherwise fine meal. Though most of the time the bacon is just a bandaid used to hide the shortcomings in an overly meat-centric diet, though I digress. I guess I'll have to try the brewery for myself. Because, honestly I do miss meat once in a while :)

TheZymurgist said:
Anything you say from this point forward will now be discounted and considered false.

"Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Abraham Lincoln

I've heard about that guy, he was that vampire hunter, right?

Zabuza said:
You, sir, are a GENIUS. I now know what beer I'm going to inject into my thanksgiving turkey this year, though pork shoulder would be far better. How did it turn out?

It turned out very well. There was a subtle maple flavor even after a long smoke. It was an expensive marinade, but it was better than dumping it down the drain.

It was like drinking liquid smoke. Was struggling through the whole thing. On a good note, it smelled amazing. Definitely a novelty beer, only to be tried once.

The only thing this beer is worthy of is being force fed down the throats of the damned roosters at Chatoe Rogue. Hopefully it will kill them before next year's Hop Madness.

Saw it at the grocery store today for $13 a bomber. Same price at the Green Dragon (Rogue outpost). Seems like they are either making a lot, having a hard time selling it, or both. I can find many bombers for cheaper that are way more appealing especially after the reviews here.

Rohlk said:
Way more maple than bacon. I bought it thinking "hey, bacon!" No bacon flavor from what I perceived.

I had "Great Scot" at a local brewery in Denver called The Copper Kettle and it had bacon steeped in vodka to give it bacon flavor.
The bacon was overwhelming! Tasted like drinking a Slim Jim. It was gross. I didn't even finish it.
Their other beers were solid but I won't be buying anymore beer with bacon in it!

Back