Is it about brewing good beer or being overly friggin cheap-a$$?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um.....both.

I enjoy the process and creating great beers that taste fantastic.

However I also enjoy the DIY aspect of it and appropriating things along the way, altering them to fit my needs and being able to sustain my beer supply.

emjay said:
Heck, I've spent thousands on equipment just this year alone. The guy talking down at people for "confusing shiny equipment with mastery of process" can bite me, because they are nowhere near mutually exclusive.

I think you misunderstood me. I was trying to point out that the dilemma in the OP was a false one. "Being overly friggin cheap-a$$" and "Throwing good money after bad because you confuse sweet equipment with mastery of process" are both caricatures that probably apply to few of the people posting here.

Sorry if my tone offended you, that wasn't what I was after at all.

tonyolympia said:
I think you misunderstood me. I was trying to point out that the dilemma in the OP was a false one. "Being overly friggin cheap-a$$" and "Throwing good money after bad because you confuse sweet equipment with mastery of process" are both caricatures that probably apply to few of the people posting here.

Sorry if my tone offended you, that wasn't what I was after at all.

:mug: alright... I'm uninstalling my Android forum-post tone-detector app, it doesn't seem to work on HBT.

Sure,it's good to save money where you can. But I just love the creative aspects of home brewing. My APA cost me 57c per bottle,I can't buy it that cheap. But the real satisfaction was coming up with a good recipe that worked out so well. It even made a good base for an IPA. 2 for the price of 1,if you will. Now that's thrifty in my book.
I think there's room for both,to a point. I don't think in terms of cost so much. Just how to get the particular ingredients I want,fresh as possible,for the least amount of money.

It started as a desire to save money on good beer. To get anything better than Yuengling where I live, you'll pay 2 - 7 dollars a bottle. I can brew it much, much cheaper than that, even taking into account the cost of equipment. Now, though, it is an obsession/hobby that actually has a practical use.

Def practical. At least this hobby doesn't need a license & insurance! It's a cheaper way to be creative to me. Plus I get the enjoyment from it without going anywhere!:mug:

There are many, many hobbies that easily cost way more than brewing. I think I have spent $400-500 on equipment over the past two years. We don't have a very technical set up. If I had the money, time, space and expertise I'd like to spend a lot to build an awesome set up, but I am happy to work with what I have.

For two people (my wife and I) spending $500 over two years plus the cost of ingredients, in my general estimation, is still cheaper than if we bought craft beer in place of all the homebrew we have drank, especially if you factor in the cost of doing a different hobby in place of brewing. I don't think of my time as an expense because I get satisfaction out of learning, talking about it and brewing. I would spend the same time on a different hobby if not for brewing and I would buy craft beer to drink while I do it.

That said, I don't think you have to get into brewing to make cheap beer or spend thousands to brew. You should brew because you enjoy it and enjoy the end result.

thought i was doing good at 5 gallon for $20. what are you doing to get 10 for $15, and how can i do that?

Like folks say, do All Grain, buy hops & malt in bulk and propagate your yeast.

It really helps to buy a few bags of grain at a time. :D

BulkGrainBuy-2010.jpg

Its a money saver for me. I like good beer and I like that I can make 2 cases for the same or less than what I would normally buy it for.

This pick shows you how sick and dangerous this hobby is. See that swimsuit hanging on the rail? He's got a naked chick sunbathing in his swimming pool, but he is taking a picture of his keggle. SICK I tell yah!!! SICK!

That's not a swimsuit... it is a dress.

Hey Hey Hey. Thats my wife in the pool! And believe me I was snapping pics of her, but thats for another thread at another time!

BTW yes that's a dress. That would be a pretty large swimsuit, hers is much more tiny!

kpr121 said:
Hey Hey Hey. Thats my wife in the pool! And believe me I was snapping pics of her, but thats for another thread at another time!

BTW yes that's a dress. That would be a pretty large swimsuit, hers is much more tiny!

Nuh uh. Put up or shut up.

Boneyard, NOW!!!

Back