Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to do this, but want a semi-sweet situation, so thinking of dropping the dextrose down to 1 cup, using a Lalvin EC1118 to get it super dry, then backsweetening with the syrup and two cans of AJC, tossing in the campden and then immediately kegging and keeping it cold to prevent it from fermenting that back out.

Make sense? Anything I'm missing there?

Looking to do this, but want a semi-sweet situation, so thinking of dropping the dextrose down to 1 cup, using a Lalvin EC1118 to get it super dry, then backsweetening with the syrup and two cans of AJC, tossing in the campden and then immediately kegging and keeping it cold to prevent it from fermenting that back out.

Make sense? Anything I'm missing there?

Honestly, let it ferment, throw in campden, let it sit a day, then add syrup and taste. I didn't even add any AJC last time because the starbucks syrup is really sweet. If you have a few extra days, try it in phases to avoid getting a sickly sweet mess, unless that's what you're going for.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. I may drop the dextrose entirely, so as not to make an 8% cider on accident.

Juice + yeast/nutrient, drop the campden in with the syrup, cold carb, and taste. If too dry, add a can of AJC.

Sounds like a plan, thanks. Glad someone else went for a more dry approach and could steer me in the right direction

I'd give the campden a day to do it's job before tossing in the syrup, but that's me. I wasn't really going for a dry cider, but I think mine just ended up finishing high, or not being finished yet before i kegged and sweetened. I think a lot of people have different ideas of what's sweet for cider. My first batch was with dextrose/brown sugar, fermented pretty dry, then hit with campden when i put in the 2 or 3 AJC and homeade syrup. Even in the fridge, I think it kept working through sugars. That batch was like apple juice, dangerously deceiving. I got the starbucks stuff for the next one and it was pretty darn sweet I think.

Here's a question about your recipe Ellicit and fire anyone else who has made this. I started making this about 2 weeks ago. I used rougemount royal gala apple juice (don't have treetop or motts apple juice in Ontario). I've used this apple juice in other batches. I added the 2lbs of dextrose and used wine yeast which I always use. Now my question after about 1 1/2 weeks it stopped bubbling. I took a reading and its reading 0.090. It's this normal and am I god to move forward to the next step?

Booker

has anyone tried this using normal cane sugar, as opposed to corn sugar (dextrose)?? Any thoughts?

Well I did this recipe exact and idk what I did wrong but after 3 days I had bottle bombs

So if one is going to bottle this and allow it to carb in the bottle and then heat pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs is there any need for the campden tablets? I'm thinking not.

So if one is going to bottle this and allow it to carb in the bottle and then heat pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs is there any need for the campden tablets? I'm thinking not.

I made this recipe twice, great recipe. Second time I didn’t use campden tablets prior to bottling and did heat pasteurize. I know you posted this in November, would love to hear how yours turned out.

I made this recipe twice, great recipe. Second time I didn’t use campden tablets prior to bottling and did heat pasteurize. I know you posted this in November, would love to hear how yours turned out.

After 37 days in primary fermentation I bottled 15 12 oz bottles and three 16 oz PET bottles on December 27. At this point, February 10, they are a little carbonated but not really fizzy (I've tried a few). I have not pasteurized yet. They sit at around 65 - 70 degrees. They continue to carb slowly and I will eventually pasteurize them. I used S-04 yeast and I think I am not a fan of that yeast. That yeast flavor is beginning to fade, the apple is coming through and the cinnamon and caramel flavors are becoming more dominant.

After 37 days in primary fermentation I bottled 15 12 oz bottles and three 16 oz PET bottles on December 27. At this point, February 10, they are a little carbonated but not really fizzy (I've tried a few). I have not pasteurized yet. They sit at around 65 - 70 degrees. They continue to carb slowly and I will eventually pasteurize them. I used S-04 yeast and I think I am not a fan of that yeast. That yeast flavor is beginning to fade, the apple is coming through and the cinnamon and caramel flavors are becoming more dominant.

I’ve used Nottingham with good results. I also use Torani Brown Sugar Cinnamon Syrup instead of the one described in the recipe.

Just started a batch last Friday with S-04. Hope I like it.

This is a sweet cider and it tastes just like drinking a caramel apple pie :ban::

Ingredients:
5 Gal. Apple Juice (Treetop or Mott's)
5 – 12 oz. cans of Apple Juice Concentrate
2 lbs. Dextrose
5 campden tablets
12 oz. Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
Nottingham Yeast

Recipe for Cinnamon Dolce Syrup:
2 cups of water
2 cups of brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil, at boil reduce heat and simmer for approx. 5 minutes (until volume is reduced to half). Cool & bottle for future use.

In carboy add 2 gal of apple juice, then add the 2 lbs. of dextrose then swirl (you want to mix the dextrose in well as to dissolve), then top off with the remaining 3 gallons of apple juice, pitch the yeast, sit back and wait.
When the fermentation has ceased and it now looks like apple juice once again, re-rack and add the 5 crushed campden tablets, and let the mix sit for 12-24 hours.
Siphon into your bottling bucket and now add the 12 oz. of Cinnamon Dolce Syrup & the 5 cans of Apple Juice concentrate. Bottle and enjoy.
This recipe sounds great, Have you made the recipe w/o the concentrate? And do you have an alcohol % on it ?

I read the receipe and I Don't see how it gets his caramel flavor. Cinamon sirup with 50/50 water/sugar tatse caramely ?

What is the consensus on kegging this in regards to adding the caramel/cinnamon mixture? If it all sinks to the bottom then I find it pointless, right? What if I made the mixture and boiled it while keeping it thin so that it doesn’t sink to the bottom.

I also considered throwing in cinnamon sticks in a bag with a weight because I also don’t want all the ground cinnamon to sink to the bottom and come out with the first pint.

Am I missing something ? It says 2 cups water for the syrup but then you reduce by half. The recipe calls for more than that are you making 2-3 times that amount you have listed?
Hi. He is asking you to cook the syrup down until it is half the volume that you started with. In other words, cook it down to half volume.

Back