Beer Homework

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoBull6

Reaction score
In an effort to expand my palate and get an idea of what kinds of beers I'd like to try to brew myself, I went to the specialty store to get some new brews. They have such a huge selection, I had a hard time figuring out what to get. I ended up with the picture you see below:

beer_homework_md.jpg

So far tonight I've had the Paulaner Hefeweizen and the Spaten Optimator. Does anyone else do this kind of homework? :tank:

Aye, I've done the same homework. I used to only try to go for bottles that I could reuse, but have been branching out to more of the well-known brews since I bought a copy of Beer Captured and Clone Brews. I go to the "grocery store" that does most of their business in beer and wine and pick through their selection of 6 packs that have been broken up so you can sample just one bottle. Fortunately the staff is awesome and you can ask for a style and most of the time they can point you to a good example.

One of the better stores I can only get to occassionally stocks a pretty wide selection of bombers, so I'll pick up a handful when I'm there. Local stuff, or like Hop Rod Rye... got a Dead Guy Ale in the fridge... I like using the bombers when I bottle, so I get to try something new, pretend that I'm a snob for a little bit, and end up with a bottle that I'd have to pay the HBS $0.75 for.

NoBull6 said:
Does anyone else do this kind of homework? :tank:

Good homework indeed.

I started brewing on July 14th for the very first time, since then I have tried all of these varieties for the same reason that you did...

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (UK)
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (UK)
Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale (UK)
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout (UK)
Chimay (Belgium)
Bridgeport Stout (US)
Samuel Adams Hefeweizen (US)
Samuel Adams Black Lager (US)
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat (US)
Whitbread Pale Ale (UK)
Samuel Smith Pale Ale (UK)
Samuel Smith Taddy Porter (UK)
Michael Shea's Amber (US)
Samuel Adams Brown Ale (US)
Morland Old Speckled Hen (UK)
Hobgoblin Dark English Ale (UK)
Murphy's Irish Red (Irish)
Paulaner Premium Pilsner (German)
Monty Pythons Holy Ail Ale (UK)
Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale (UK)
Weihenstephaner Malt Liquor (UK)
Bitburger Premium (German)
Harp Lager (Canadian)
Mackeson XXX Triple Stout
Paulaner Salvator Double Bock (German)
Peroni (Italy)
Grolsch Lager (Holland)
Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde (US)
Anchor Steam (US)
Stella Artois (Belgium)
Pyramid Hefe Weizen (US)
Sapporo (Japan)
Dogfish Head IPA (US)
Yanjing Ale (China)
Birra Moretti (Italy)
Pilsner Urquell (Czech)
Dogfish Head Raisen D'Etre (US)
McEwans Scotish Ale (Scotland)
Blue Moon Belgian White (Canada/US)
Shiner Bock (US)
Sierra Nevada Wheat (US)
Negra Modelo (Mexican)
Paulaner Hefe Weizen (German)
JW Dundee's Honey Brown Ale (US)
Youngs Double Oatmeal Stout (UK)
Killians Irish Red (Irish)
Rogue Dead Guy Ale (US)
Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale (US)
Pyramid Aricot Weizen (US)
New Belgium Fat Tire (US)
Sierra Nevada Stout (US)
New Belgium Skinny Dip (US)
Abita Purple Haze (US)
Bridgeport IPA (US)
New Belgium Blue Paddle (US)
Anchor Porter (US)
Celis Raspberry (US)

my buddies and i are keeping a log, with comments and ratings... in fact because of this list we have picked some future brews... :mug: :tank:

Damn Brewproject, where you gettin' all of these beers? Been spending some time at the Flying Saucer?

Fatabbot said:
Damn Brewproject, where you gettin' all of these beers? Been spending some time at the Flying Saucer?

World Market in Grapevine mostly. And the World Market in Plano...

They sell singles for $1.69 each. Great way to expand my palette and try a bunch of things I have never tried...

Yeah I just started doing that too! That Paulaner Hefeweizen is something huh :) Just got some IPA from Goose that I'm enjoying too. Oh and I was going to get the Missisipi Mud, but held off.

NoBull6 said:
So far tonight I've had the Paulaner Hefeweizen and the Spaten Optimator. Does anyone else do this kind of homework? :tank:

Both good beer. Optimator....a very nice first-beer for an evening of sampling.

I do find though that after the first beer or two my palatte gets a bit numb and I have a harder time deciphering what is good and what isn't.

Mmmmm...I see Boddingtons in there. :mug: One of my all time favorites.

I named my Gold Severum (fish) "Boddy" after that glorious brew.
6cfee35b.jpg

(he turned out to be a she and laid eggs on that rock)

I think I'll have to start some homework tonight as well. :)

Exo said:
I do find though that after the first beer or two my palatte gets a bit numb and I have a harder time deciphering what is good and what isn't.
I agree. I stopped after having those two. The Optimator tastes a lot like my beer after its first week in primary (I'm doing a bock) - its got a very strong taste.

The Paulaner Hefe is very unlike the Widmar Hefe that I usually drink. It's got more of a bite and aftertaste than the ones I'm used to. Not sure if this is more representative of a "true" Hefe than others.

In addition to the above I also got Warsteiner Dunkel and McEwans Scottish Ale. I even picked up a $5 bottle of a trappist ale because I recalled seeing "trappist" on here somewhere :D I picked up a Sleemans 12-pack sampler with a Porter, IPA, Dark Amber, and Cream Ale. I haven't had an IPA in years because I didn't like it, so I thought I'd give it another try.

NoBull6 said:
In addition to the above I also got Warsteiner Dunkel and McEwans Scottish Ale. I even picked up a $5 bottle of a trappist ale because I recalled seeing "trappist" on here somewhere :D I picked up a Sleemans 12-pack sampler with a Porter, IPA, Dark Amber, and Cream Ale. I haven't had an IPA in years because I didn't like it, so I thought I'd give it another try.

I did not care too much for the McEwans Scottish Ale..., but the Paulaner Hefe on the other hand was delicious.

BrewProject said:
I did not care too much for the McEwans Scottish Ale..., but the Paulaner Hefe on the other hand was delicious.

I had a McEwans SA within the past couple of months. I can't seem to recall my feelings on it. I guess that's a bad thing. Am I right in remembering that the ABV is rather high on that one?

fezzman said:
I had a McEwans SA within the past couple of months. I can't seem to recall my feelings on it. I guess that's a bad thing. Am I right in remembering that the ABV is rather high on that one?

I don't remember the ABV. What I didn't care to much for was the the smoky, skunky almost sour taste..., but to each his own. :drunk: :mug:

fezzman said:
Mmmmm...I see Boddingtons in there. :mug: One of my all time favorites.

I think I'll have to start some homework tonight as well. :)

I've got a pretty good clone recipe of Boddington's if you want it. Click Pub Ale in my sig. I think it was my bet attempt at a clone yet, even though it really wasn't supposed to be just like Boddington's, hence why the color is off slightly.

Yes, research like this is awesome. I research nightly.

Exo said:

I wonder if sampling in a certain order would help us to be able to sample longer? Y'know, like when you go wine tasting they have you taste the lightest wine first, then build up to the dry, red stuff.

Maybe start with the blonde ale and work up to the Optimator, for instance. ? I'm assigning this as an extra credit project, boys. Anyone who tries it gets to be tipsy. And happy.

And another thing...

This kind of homework is not just fun and tasty; it could save you from making something you'll hate. Several times now I've gotten excited about brewing some particular style--until I actually tried an example of it. Barleywine, for example. Thought it would be fun to brew (which it probably would be), but really disliked drinking it. Just not my preferred style. So thank heavens I didn't find out when I tried my first of 50 bottles!

fezzman said:
I remember enjoying it, but YOW, it made me cross-eyed after several bottles. :drunk:

Back