best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deep Purple and Zeppelin? I thought we were talking about metal.

We are. Music historians usually categorize Deep Purple and the Zep are the first heavy metal bands- they trailblazed the genre with distorted guitars and wailing vocals. :rockin:

But it's a small semantic point when talkin' about some kickass bands!

Jethro Tull people, Jethro Tull.

Prog rock. :D

Ah come on, Jethro Tull has been all over the board with attempting to define a style. They were never metal, and didn't even get into "hard rock" until the late 80s. In closing, a flute doesn't belong in metal. Ever.

To me, (and I guess most people under 30), deep purple and zeppelin don't qualify as metal, but as hard rock. In fact, AFAIK, both are usually classified with "classic rock", because at least now, it seems like vivaldi next to stuff like cradle of filth, slayer, dimmu borgir, etc, etc. When I think of the first, I think Black Sabbath.

Exhibit A: http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/poll_3.htm

Ah come on, Jethro Tull has been all over the board with attempting to define a style. They were never metal, and didn't even get into "hard rock" until the late 80s. In closing, a flute doesn't belong in metal. Ever.
I think he's being facetious based on Tull's winning a best metal band emmy back in the 80s.

EDIT: Emmy? I mean Grammy. Moron.

I'd agree that most of the bands mentioned so far are nowhere near the 'metal' category. Best Metal band ever is easy, Pantera. Motorhead, Slayer and Sepultura are close behind. I go old school sometimes but lately I've been listening to a lot of Trivium.

Last edited by a moderator:
IRON MAIDEN.

or Megadeth.....
...or Pantera..
..... or Slayer...
Currently i've been listening to a lot of LORDI, if you don't know them...you should.
wait. BEST EVER? there's soo little BAD metal. How's about WORST ever?

How's about WORST ever?
2 words

robzombie1.jpg

Rammstein can't be the worst metal band ever because they're industrial :D.

I love Pantera as much as the next guy, but they 1) released less albums than Slayer, 2) broke up while Slayer is still going, 3) have said multiple times they were influenced by Slayer. Someone had to be the driving force to get them out of playing glam rock haha. Dimebag is a wayyyyy better guitarist than Kerry King though. Slayer's solos sound like sh*t, but I guess that's part of the thrash metal experience.
GodListensToSlayer.jpg

For the awesomest living metal guitarists, even though they're what my friends refer to as "wizard metal" (lol), I nominate the guys from Dragonforce. If 1:57 to 3:20 of this video doesn't rock your freaking face off, you need help: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GpiRiFOo0]YouTube - Dragonforce - Heroes Of Our Time[/ame]

I think he's being facetious based on Tull's winning a best metal band emmy back in the 80s.

EDIT: Emmy? I mean Grammy. Moron.

Thank you shecky, I wondered how long it would take for someone to get it.

As for real metal bands, I've got to go with Judas Priest, after that probably Black Sabbath.

If you want to hear some really crazy sh*t though, check out Icelandic Death Metal, that stuff is beyond the beyond imo.

Pantera. Dimebag getting killed onstage just adds to their legend. I'm not sure there's even a Metallica song that rocks harder than "Walk". It's real hard to be that restained while being that hardcore; it's not always who plays the loudest or the fastest.

**** Megadeth. Dave Mustaine, ****ing Metallica wannabes. Did you see him start CRYING in the Metallica movie? WTF? Crying because they kicked him out, and he spent his entire career in their shadow because Megadeth was completely derivative? They might as well have made it official and become a Metallica cover band.

**** Megadeth. **** Dave Mustaine.

Bad News

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwKFGEu7MgI]YouTube - Bad News - Warriors of Genghis Khan[/ame]

No Michael Angelo Battio fans? Aww come on. I don't know how much more metal you can get than this...hair metal anyway. :D

[youtube]P-XfnkLdkjo[/youtube]​

Black Sabbath, Pantera, and Avenged Sevenfold. All different kinds of metal but all still badass.

But just because Metallica turned into a bunch of tools it doesn't mean you can't count them. This is about talent and good music and you can't tell me that their first four albums didn't kick ass.

AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC AC/DC

Yeah..... they're latest song release sucks but they've been goin strong for 34 years!!

Pantera for the win! Anyone that came after them just cheesed off of them ;), and the ones that came before, were just preparing the world for their entrance! :rockin:

SLAYER!!!

I would go along the lines of Maiden or some of the others but many of them are sounding dated while SLAYERS music remains the same. They were never about being great musicians they were only about being fast and heavy. Now there are faster and heavier but they are still and will always be the granddaddy's of thrash.

Now on the Megadeth... Sorry guys but I'd take them over Metallicrap any time now. Whoever told James he could sing should be hunted down and beaten like the bad dog he is.

...and one more thing, don't complain about Mustain crying until you see the Metallica documentary where they are ALL fighting with each other like they are in divorce mitigation or something. PATHETIC RICH PANSIES! These guys need to get old school, punch somebody in the face, have a homebrew and go rock out!!!

Nuf said.

Hey, never said that Metallica hadn't turned into a bunch of wussie tools in their old age, either. Can't stand the ****ers now, but I love everything up to (and including, which may put me in the minority) the Black album. The recent **** is just ****, though; Hetfield needs to listen to stuff like the first Unforgiven, or even go back to "Fade To Black" to remember how to sing emotional **** without sounding like a *****.

Even in their heyday, though, Megadeth never did it for me - just seemed too much like they always wanted to BE Metallica. I listened to them, but it was never as good.

Latest posts

Back