Waterproof digital probe thermometer. Exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a digital thermometer and due to my own clumsiness I need to find one where the probe and braid are waterproof. Does anyone know of a brand that makes one of these? I have been searching all day and can't seem yo find one.

I was thinking of taking one of those bbq temp probes with the long wire and shoving it through either some stainless or copper tube, then seal it up with some aquarium grade silicone.

Evan! said:
Here you go.

Waterproof. Digital. NIST Certified accurate. Look no further.
I have the same one and it works great. That company will spam the heck out of you once you purchase something from them, I get e-mails 2-3 times per week.

I just built a compression fitting to fit the probe and run it through the side of my coolers. you could do the same thing with a pot or keggle. the wire never really gets wet that way.

Linc

or just run aquarium tubing around the braid and the first inch of probe, and zip-tie the crap outta it to keep it from leaking. $15 oven thermometer from Target and $1 worth of tubing.

missing link said:
I just built a compression fitting to fit the probe and run it through the side of my coolers. you could do the same thing with a pot or keggle. the wire never really gets wet that way.

Linc

Can you post a pic of it? I was thinking of something like that... thanks man...

probeseal.jpg

probeseal2.jpg

kegglecouplings.jpg

missing link said:
bobby it looks real similar to what I use. just a 1/4 inch compression fitting you can build one at HD or buy them from any of the beer sites.

Linc

I'm doing that as well. I made sight tubesusing 1/4" compression fittings and PET tubing. I'm going to get the 3 way fittings so I can also add a digital thermoter to the HLT and MLT. Just need a screen or something to keep the grain out of the sight tube.

Back